Zooz update reinclude?

Wanting to update a bunch of my zooz switches, but prior updates have shown that they need to be reincluded after the update.

Is there a “good” way to do this without exclude and breaking integrations/rules/etc?

C5 or C7? If you have a C7, you can just do a "Replace" from the Z-wave details page.

3 Likes

Do you have to do a refresh a few times? Does replace put the hub into include?

Yes, C-7

If the device is failed (off the network) then refresh, and when the new menu comes up, replace. So I suppose it depends upon when you update if it will fail (i.e. become a new device) or not. I have used my C5 (second hub) to do an exclude of a device so it will fail, then do the replace. If you exclude with your main hub that is when you lose everything, so having a second hub or Z-stick comes in handy for this situation.

You could also do the Zooz update with a Z-stick that is included with your C7 (on the same network) and I have seen where that works better or quicker and you sometimes don't have to do the re-inclusion process at all.

I suppose it does do an include, but I am not sure what the exact details are, other than it works and you don't have to mess with anything except maybe check for any new settings or being sure your settings are preserved. It does take you to a new screen that tells you what is going on when you use this function, so you can see it running.

1 Like

The majority of the time for Zooz I have found the device is not reset, just missing the group 1 lifeline association. The way to tell is if it takes commands but does not report back to the hub at all. If you are using one of my drivers, after doing the firmware update and letting the device restart, pressing "Configure" should restore the association.

Or, use this driver: [RELEASE] Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner and it has a command button to send out the Group 1 association command to link the device back to the hub.

Try this first before factory resetting the device, excluding it, or trying to do the zwave replace.

6 Likes

Is this a generic thing for all zwave? May be going off on a tangent to this thread, but I've seen several cases with Ring keypad v2. Wondering if the same fix for Group 1 association could be applied to remedy the keypad case, too?

This is great, thank you! Will give this a try!

Besides the above, even if you do end up re-pairing, the Swap Apps Device tool should work in most cases (only exception should be if you are dealing with child devices, which you shouldn't be for a switch/dimmer but might be with, say, their power strip).

I'd try the lifeline re-association thing above first, but I've also heard of them changing command classes with firmware updates, which last I heard would require a re-pair. "Replace" on a C-7, as mentioned above, should also work regardless of cause. But it's been tricky to get it to work sometimes, at least for me, whereas adding it like a new device and then swapping it out is pretty straightfoward — and would work on any model hub. (Just make sure to reset the device so it can be paired again, or do a general exclusion from another controller, not this hub--and remove the old node from Z-Wave Details afterwards.)

3 Likes

Oh, that is a neat trick! Got to remember that one.

2 Likes

Usually would only happen if you did a firmware update or something drastic, but could be worth a shot using that driver and see if it helps.

1 Like

but if you exclude, prior to the re-include, will that not remove the previous instance?

Do not exclude on your hub, that will erase the device entry. You either factory reset the device or exclude it using some other controller, like a clean USB stick. Then the hub will still have the old device and node where you can do the replace, or pair new and use Swap Apps. After Swap Apps you will need to remove the old device/node.

1 Like

Not if you do it this way:

(But for most devices, a reset also erases any memory of inclusion, so that should also work even if all you have is this hub. Some old GE switches were stubborn about this, IIRC, but I don't know of anything else.)

EDIT: Oh, and I guess you could also just create a virtual device, use Swap Apps device as above, then exclude the "real" device without fear. Then, use it again to swap in the newly paired device — all needing only one hub. If you're having this problem in the first place, it's also possible the hub and node don't recognize each other anymore and the node-specific exclusion won't work anyway, though I wouldn't count on that given the other possibilities there could be.

2 Likes

yeah. makes sense. I have a C5 I can turn the zwave radio back on, and use it to exclude. theoretically. lol.

There's no need to exclude. I just updated a bunch of zooz switches over the weekend. Just do a replace from zwave details. That puts there hub in include mode. Then go start inclusion on the device.

If you can't get the replace button to appear, power cycle the device and the hub.

2 Likes

This worked perfectly. I wasn’t able to just hit “configure”.

Will do the rest of my switches tomorrow. Thanks!

1 Like

Just curious for future reference which worked perfectly? The replace option?
Which Models of switches?

If the configure option on my drivers did not work, then the device did in fact factory reset itself. I have not figured out exactly why some do that and others do not.

2 Likes

Sorry, quoting didn’t work. :confused: doing a replace after updating and telling the switch to include (triple tap).

I will check which driver I’m using as well. Think it’s the native one. But after update the switch would not respond to commands or report status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.