Zooz Switch Update Preferences

I have a Zooz ZEN71 Z Wave Switch which I setup with a group 2 association to network location 12. I now want to remove that association by entering a zero in the group 2 preferences dialog box. When I do so I get the following Server Error:

Error 500

Something went wrong

If you are seeing this screen repeatedly, please visit support.hubitat.com.

I am using the latest firmware and Zooz ZEN Switch Advanced driver. I have also power cycled the device. How do I clear this association?

Are you using my driver? [DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

If so, try making the box blank and saving instead of a 0. The workaround for doing a 0 was something with the browser on iOS devices, otherwise saving it blank should work. Can you also check the logs and see if an error was generated?

Many thanks for the help. I think I am using your driver, the last entry in the change log is:

[1.6.4] - 2022-12-13 (@jtp10181)

Added

• Command to set any parameter (can be used in RM)

I have tried both zero and blank but neither worked, I'll do it again tomorrow and check the logs. However the comment on the browser is interesting. I have seen this sort of issue on some of my router setup pages were Chrome does an autofill but doesn't display it on screen. I'll use a different browser and see what happens.

Will update you tomorrow.

I was just able to test it, I set and removed an association from one of my devices with no issues.

Make sure the "Type" on the device page is set to my driver. "Zooz ZEN Switch Advanced"

1 Like

I tried both a blank and zero network ID in both Chrome and MS Edge, all gave the Server Error message.

Below are screen shots of the error message, the driver I am using and the log file. The log file only shows the changes in the switch state.

Server Error

Try doing a configure maybe?

@support_team no idea why this would be throwing this error but nothing is logged?

Pressed Configure and tried clearing the association, still got the same error.

Bump - still have the Server Error 500 when I try to clear an association. Presume this has to be either a driver or hub code bug?

I cannot reproduce it, no one else has reported it, and there are no errors in the logs. Sounds possibly like a local issue. I was able to set and clear an association fine on the same model device.

Maybe try doing a backup and restore on the hub in case you have some sort of database corruption? You wont lose any info but it will clear out any corruption when restored.

Also you could try using this driver to clear the association:

2 Likes

Many thanks for your help so far, I'll try the backup/restore tomorrow.

Your ZWave Tweaker looks very interesting and may help one of my other issues. I would like to use associations for the basic switching functions so they are independent of the hub. However am being told I can't do that with Hubitat because you cannot edit the group 1 associations. Consequently if you put device associations in group 2 and the hub is not present on the network the device will wait until the hub association times out before executing the group 2 associations. That effectively stops them being of any use.

Bottom line is can you edit all the device associations with this driver?

I don't think there are any restrictions, so you should be able to. Typically Group 1 is limited to only one association, and it should always be the hub (node 1).

I did try the backup & restore but it made no difference. I excluded the switch, factory reset it and added it again. That cleared the association but I haven't tried adding/deleting it again, I think I leave it as is for now!

I fear I still don't understand associations properly, there seems to be no point in device to device associations. If you are dependent on the hub being there for them to be useful why not just put the logic in the hub. I will keep reading up on this!

They work for me w/o hub.

I think my associations still worked if I "powered down" the hub but left it connected. Looked to me as if the ZWave radio was still working when the main processor was down but I did not investigate this much.

Zooz said that that if I put an association in group 2 but disconnected the hub the device would have to timeout on the hub before it would transmit on group 2. I saw a delay of between 6 to 8 seconds, that makes them of little use.

You're absolutely correct. I just shutdown and unplugged my hub and got even some even longer delays. These aren't Zooz devices-they were GE/Jasco switch and Ecolink(?) contact sensors. I might try excluding a contact sensor without removing the association and see what happens.

I had a similarly conversation on a general Z Wave forum. From them I gather that including the hub in the group 1 association is part of the Z Wave spec but the guys on that site said the hub should allow you to edit those associations after inclusion. Apparently Hubitat does not support that.

As I already explained: Typically Group 1 is limited to only one association, and it should always be the hub (node 1).

To make that more clear, you can only have ONE association in Group 1. If you change that to something other than the hub, the device will not send status update to the hub AT ALL. So you do not want to change it. Trust me on this, I am not just making this stuff up.

2 Likes

Well excluding the concept seems to have wiped out the association as well. Of course, I had to figure out how I associated the Ecolink contact sensor in the first place. Good thing this forum exists and old posts aren't deleted. I went back to my original install. Had to change a parameter on the sensor to get it to behave.

That kind of highlights another issue-how do you remember what you've associated? :slight_smile:

Although, I was always under the impression that associated worked well with the hub off. Probably because I hadn't unplugged the hub when I checked. Kinda does stink.

One reason why I typically just recommend to use rules on the hub instead of associations. I would only use an association if something is mission critical to function with the hub offline and I had the chance of prolonged power outages, such as maybe leak sensors associated to a water valve shut off or a battery powered siren.

2 Likes

Yep, I am not impressed with this. I am upgrading from an Insteon system and specifically checked that associations worked without the hub. The guys on the Z Wave forum said you could get around this with other hubs. When I have finished installing all my devices I will look at swapping out the HE hub.