Zooz switch/dimmer and hue bulb – reprogram buttons?

When removing the existing dimmer you tie the line from the dimmer and connect it to the load.
Now the ceiling fixture is hot all the time, just like an outlet.

Thank you.

Which button controller do you think is best?

Picos by a long shot, but the entry price is high.

If you don't want to go Lutron, the Eria Dimmer is a Zigbee option that also fits in a decorator plate and pairs directly to Hubitat (so no bridge = lower price of entry). I don't like the way the buttons work quite as much (have to hold it for a long time to get a "held" and only get a "released" event for holds), but it's one of few options I'm aware of that fit this bill. Otherwise, you can wait for Philips/Lutron's more expensive "over-toggle," no-rewiring dimmer to be released later this summer if it's capable of pairing with Hubitat (though it will definitely work with Hue which it sounds like you already have).

Couldn't one wire the zooz Zen21 with a common and line, and not bother connecting anything to the load? Then when the switch was toggled on or off, the events could trigger actions? The Zen presumably neither knows nor cares if it actually has a load.

Sort of a "Switch that does Nothing" except generating events.

S.

P.S. you'd also have to connect the load of the fixture to the line as suggested earlier.

1 Like

We've already got this added to the latest firmware so if someone would like this feature, please get in touch with us first and we'll manually update prior to purchase since we're currently selling through the existing batch that doesn't have this parameter setting built-in yet.

@Dhorlo You can also just wire load to line like others have mentioned and then set-up a mirror automation between the dimmer and the bulb, we know it can be easily done on SmartThings so it should be achievable on Hubitat as well. The latest firmware also features scene control so it's essentially a Z-Wave switch and button controller in one. Feel free to get in touch with our support and request the latest firmware file for the above-mentioned features (remember to include your order number).

2 Likes

Fantastic news! Does this apply to all of your switches/dimmers, or just specific models?

We're applying the firmware across all models but not all of the old versions are updateable. ZEN21 and ZEN23 can be updated over the air if they're VERSION 3.0 or higher, ZEN22 and ZEN24 VER. 2.0 with a production date sticker of 0418 or higher are updateable, and all ZEN26 and ZEN27 versions can be updated over the air.

4 Likes

This is incredibly awesome news! I will check my switches to see what version and prod date they are to see if they are upgradeable. You guys at Zooz are great!

1 Like

Glad we could help! If you need any assistance with the wiring, feel free to reach out to our support, they will create custom instructions for you if needed so you can complete the installation quickly and safely. Good luck with the project!

I am ready to pick up a small pile of these, is the firmware ready to go on anything I order today, possibly through Amazon?

Also, I am curious if the "Dimmer" function stores/shares/updates a % that can be read by Hubitat to apply to other dimmers? If so, I'd probably prefer Dimmer model over switched, but only if I could force the "Switched load" to always be 100% on/off and the Dimmer a value stored that I can use to do smart stuff.

I'm not aware of any dimmers that work that way

1 Like

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to make any guarantees for Amazon's inventory. Their fulfillment centers are beyond anyone's control and products are constantly lost and found, many old returned items are restocked and resold to other customers so it's really difficult to say which version you'll receive. Most likely, it will not be the latest firmware version. If you'd like to get a particular version, get in touch with The Smartest House and they'll make sure you'll receive exactly what you need. If you're looking for 10 or more of a given model, ask for bulk pricing too.

The way our dimmers work is that they'll always turn on to the last brightness level with a single click and they'll go to 100% / full brightness with a double click. If you'd like to turn the dimmer on to a particular brightness at any given time, you'd need to create appropriate automation routines for the logic.

1 Like

I saw this in a different post and it got me thinking...
"'zw device: 03, command: 2603, payload: 2B ' parsed to [[name:switch, value:on, descriptionText:Kitchen - Over Cabinet Lighting was turned on], [name:level, value:43, descriptionText:Kitchen - Over Cabinet Lighting brightness set to 43, unit:%]]"

If the status reports for the dimmer include the current brightness level setting or if Hubitat just knows what it was the last time it set it digitally. I may have to buy one and play before I decide. I've been all over smartest home's site this morning lol!

Cheers!

The dimmer sends a multilevel report to the hub so anytime it's turned on or off, it will send the brightness level to the hub rather than just an on/off report like simple on/off switches do, that's how it works. Hopefully that answers your question!

1 Like

Just to clarify, the new firmware allows the relay to be controlled purely by HE and the different button presses are just sent to the hub and can be used for automations there? Does this include 3+-way inputs?

You also mentioned scene control. Do you have any details on how that works for your switches? I would really like to have a way to send an "all-off" scene for my basement lights from the top of the stairs.

If you disable manual control, you won't be able to control the connected load from the Zooz switch OR from the connected 3-way switch. You'll be able to trigger automations (scenes) from the Zooz switch but NOT from the connected 3-way switch.

If you'd like to use scene control, you need to make sure your version (firmware) of the switch features scene control (see change logs for ZEN22 and ZEN27 dimmers), then you'd need to create a scene to turn all selected lights off using the Scenes tool in Hubitat, and finally, to assign the scene to the dimmer, you'd use the Button Controller app in Hubitat.

Let me know if that answered your questions!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Does disabling manual control remove the ability for the connected 3-way switch to do anything or are the inputs still captured and sent to Hubitat (meaning they can be used for scene control)?

The connected 3-way switch is not able to send any Z-Wave signal at all. Since it's a regular 3-way switch without any wireless capabilities, it does what it always did so it just reads and switches current, that's about it. Everything else is done by the Zooz switch so if manual control is disabled, none of the wall switches will control the light. Similarly, as mentioned in my previous post, you can only trigger scenes from a Zooz switch since this functionality is separate from main circuit control (therefore, the connected 3-way switch doesn't have access to it at all).

If you'd like to use the "slave" location for scenes as well, you can replace the 3-way switch with another Zooz and REWIRE the set-up so the 2 Zooz switches ARE NOT ELECTRICALLY CONNECTED (like in a standard 3-way) but rather the primary Zooz becomes a single pole switch controlling the light directly while the "slave" Zooz is only powered (so just line and neutral utilized) and acts as a virtual additional control which is programmed strictly via Z-Wave.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.