Zooz Power Strips on Sale

You can also make it two rule setup.

1. Triggered Rule, detect that power was lost and set private boolean of a second rule
  2. Triggered Rule, send notification when power was restored

Your current rule could toggle if you even have a power level hovering 50, go 49 to 51 to 49 to 51...

Good idea too. I'm sorry if I'm bread crumbing the requirements. I'm just thinking of them as you guys suggest things. I think I need to keep the notification in a rule as I need it to run every 15 minutes. For example, if I'm cleaning one of the filters and then I forget to turn the system on, the repeating alert will fix that. After all, most of my automation is to accommodate brain lapses.

So I'll try a trigger which will set the rule to true when power is lost. That should do it.

Don't have a real solution, other than remove the false action. What would you do different if power was restored? Plus every 15 minutes you'll get a power failure message which will stop when power is restored.
Does your hub have a battery backup? if so you could attach a powersensing plug and be notified when power is restored back to plug

So I paired my second zooz strip next to the hub, then moved it right next to my other "slow" strip. The second strip paired near the hub then moved, is fast. The original strip paired in place is still slower and can lag for several seconds, mostly with the second or third command.
I did do a Z-Wave repair after pairing the first "slow" strip. The repair was done after moving slow strip to it's current location.
I know pairing in place is theoretically best and not sure if that is the source of my issue or if one strip is bad? Wish I could upload my video...

We added power monitoring, on/off status recovery after power failure, and a number of advanced features like built-in timers. Unfortunately, VER. 1.0 is not updateable and features like energy monitor also require hardware modifications.

We'd recommend excluding it, factory resetting, and re-including it right by the hub. If it's still slow to respond, please get in touch with us to get it replaced.

My actual device is labeled 2.0d on the back of unit, but the driver is indicating firmware version 1.0 the above statement still accurate?

No, thanks for pointing that out, I read version 1 as in original release of the product!

The only thing we changed between 1.0 and 2.0 firmware is adding a workaround for SmartThings inclusion which didn't recognize the strip due to their multi-channel issues. I believe this has been since fixed for SmartThings and that change doesn't affect any other platforms. We haven't made any other changes to the device yet.

1 Like

I would repeat your exclude/add procedure with the slow device. If that doesn’t work and you have both devices in same spot I would contact Zooz support.

The benefit is you bought a Zooz device. Out of all the zwave/Zigbee devices I have purchased, Zooz has the best low-hassle support. Also they actually listen to you first before trying to run through the checklist of common repairable procedures. Aka they determine your expertise level many times by listening first. Very rare but best customer service.

1 Like

Thank you. I'm going to do more testing this weekend, including pairing to smartthings to see if I observe any difference in performance, as well as testing at various distances from my hubs, including a z-wave repair prior to each new location

After some testing, I'm not over-the-moon with these. I think they are great for doing power monitoring and you could put some nice rules together to turn on and off the individual plugs.

My use case is monitoring my aquariums. I have two filters, a heater and a powerhead per tank. So I'll use 4 plugs. There are two maintenance processes I have. One is to rotate the water, in which I turn the power of to the entire tank. And the second is to clean out one of the two canister filters. In either process, I want an alert every 15 minutes to remind me to make sure things are set when I finish the maintenance. I found the easiest is to use power. The smaller tank runs around 22 watts so I have a rule that says when the watts drop below 22, send and alert and when it goes above that, tell me it's all okay.

Issue 1 - When I go to rotate water out of the tanks, I turn the strip off at the switch. There was no entries in the logs at all. However, if I use the driver to turn the power strip off, then it sends entries to the log file. I'm going to assume that the driver activates an electronic switch vs. the physical switch. I'm not saying that shutting off the physical switch killing everything is a bad design. Just not what I was looking for.

By comparison, the Dome power plug I use to use would still communicate with the hub and send an alert if you turned off the button.

Issue 2 - If I turn off any of the individual plugs, it sends multiple entires for the power even though it is 0. The good side is that it seems to only send one entry for the actual switch going on and off.

So I've put the Dome power plugs on the end so I can maintain my power monitoring. The issue I'm stuck with right now is that while I could turn all of the plugs off individually when I'm doing maintenance, I don't have a way to notify me if I or someone else turns the power strip off.

I have the same issue (your #1) with that aspect of the strip (which I am also using to control my aquarium). I am not too concerned with inadvertent actuation of the master on off since it is located out of the way (and the automations I have set up to monitor the individual outlets power will notify me if I accidentally turn them off digitally). But I have the strip plugged into a GFCI outlet and a transient from a lightning storm last summer tripped the ground fault. The entire setup silentlly lost power, though everything else in the house stayed up (with the exception of another GFCI outlet, which in addition to tripping also permanently failed). No power reports were generated after this happened so none of my automations detected anything amiss; the hubitat UI for the strip still showed all the dead outlets still pulling normal power.

I happened to be out of the house when it happened and only noticed the GFCI had tripped when I noticed the lack of normal equipment noise. That exposure is to be expected when using a GFCI and it shouldn't have come as a surprise to me in hindsight.

I think I can close this loophole with a scheme similar to how I monitor my aquarium heater for stuck on stuck off (I will get an alert if it draws 150 watts for more than 30 minutes or fails to turn on at least once in two hours, subject to seasonal adjustments). I should be able to check for periodic variations in wattage that are reported during normal operation of the filter and circulator pumps. They always seem to generate reports that differ by tenths of Watts now and then. I may not get notified immediately if the strip powers down, but I should be able to detect a complete lack of operation within a half hour or so.

I feel your pain!!! I put the dome power adaptor in-between the wall and the Zooz strip as 1) I already had experience with it so the rules are still there and 2) it just seemed easier than trying to program a lot of logic to overcome the device itself. I am starting to toy with the ideas of individual switch notifications. For example, if I'm cleaning one of my smaller filters (9 watts) and the heater is on, then I won't get a notification that the power strip is < 20 watts. The part that's got my gears grinding is how to make sure I only get one alert and not multiple. Please keep me updated on your rule setting. Us Aquarium owners gotta stick together.

in spite of this limitation I still really like using the Zoozs strip. I use separate monitoring rules for each of the filter pumps and heater outlets based on their expected wattages. I figure I can detect a pump going bad if its wattage starts to significantly differ from the historical norm, and I always expect them to draw their nominal wattage unless it is feeding or maintenance time-- if not I'll get a periodic repeating audible warning (I use a few custom mp3 tracks for my aeotec doorbell to supply the right amount of panic) as well as an SMS.

I have a virtual switch which I flip to "maintenance mode" for filter maintenance which acts as a 'disable' for those wattage monitoring rules. It also activates a 60-minute fail-safe timer; if the pumps haven't started operating by then, I'll get and audible warning as well as a text and notifications telling me that I've forgotten to turn things back on. I also automate the turn off of the circulator pump at feeding time with a similar warning if it hasn't been turned back on within a reasonable time. As far as fat-fingering an inadvertent digital turn off, I have rules that will turn the pumps back on with no intervention (unless it's maintenance time) after an audio warning and 1 minute
delay.

I think of all the automations I have, the ones that help me maintain the aquarium are the most useful. Not to mention the leak detector (in a drip pan under the main filter) which has saved me more than once from a worn-out pump gasket...

That button acts more like a safety switch and isn't Z-Wave enabled so it's not the physical button for the master on/off switch that's created in the Z-Wave interface - we'll make sure that's clearer in the documentation and will look into ways of adding Z-Wave reports to it as well. Thanks for the feedback!