Zooz has released an updated ZSE18 S2 motion sensor

I got an email tonight that Zooz has released an 800 LR S2 Version of the ZSE18 motion sensor. This is exactly what I was looking for (again) for a new automation in the laundry room.

2 Likes

I saw this recently too (they seem to be silently doing this kind of upgrade with most of their product line) and was tempted to buy, but the older ZSE18 was painfully slow for me. If anyone has both and does a side-by-side comparison of response times, I'd be interested to know. :smiley:

(Or I'll probably break down and buy one eventually anyway since I can't resist trying new things...)

Yeah, I was curious if they updated the FAQ to address any improvements to the speed/response issues of the original 18, but they didn't.

They have the new 70 coming soon, so maybe they're doing a refresh of their motion line and better comparisons of each will come then, who knows.

I haven't had much of an issue with my two older ZSE18's. Thought I do have the sensitivity set at around 7 or 8. Also, both are working in groups with other Ring Gen 2 motion sensors. I ordered on, so I'm hoping maybe this will be a bit faster. I'm setting up an automated switch in our laundry room, and this would be perfect to mount over one of the doors to catch anyone walking in from the kitchen (that door is usually open). The other door (from the garage) has an open close sensor on it. If this doesn't work there i'll end up getting another Ring sensor, but i was thinking with the smaller form factor this may be a better option and opportunity to gain WAF points. Plus I do like the option to turn the sensor in its base to exactly the angle you want.

I wonder if they are planning to refresh the infamous Zen25 double plugs as well (@agnes.zooz)?

I will soon. I have a ZSE18 in a bathroom right now and I thought it was pretty quick. MUCH better than the ZSE11 which is horribly slow. I can put the new ZSE18 right next to the existing one and then see if there is any differences in reporting speed.

I will be doing a driver for it as well to support all the settings on the new model.

4 Likes

I have ZSE18's in my mailbox and package bins. I have an Ecolink contact sensor at the gate. All basically at the same location-at the bleeding edge of range. All these zwave units outperform anything zigbee i tried. They do use a bigger battery-don't activate much, so they've been lasting, through the winter. Do these new ver s ions have the usb hardwire option? Too bad LR isn't supported by Hubitat.

1 Like

Yes. Near as I can tell these are practically identical to the original ZSE18, but with the 800 chip, will be LR when it’s finally available and support S2 security. But yes, USB power is still an option.

Yes it will have the USB option still (old ZSE18 does as well). Not sure if they are switching it to USB-C or sticking with the micro USB.

1 Like

I hope USB C. I have few enough things that use micro usb that now those things are really annoying.

The cables for sale as accessories on thesmartesthome.com page for the new ZSE18 are still micro USB.

There are currently no plans to bring back the ZEN25 Double Plug. We have released an outdoor double plug in the meantime and already have a couple of indoor plug models. We're still planning to bring back the Power Strip with updated software and firmware. I hope we can share our product release timeline in the next email newsletter from The Smartest House.

It's still micro USB. We would need to create a whole new tooling to change the USB port so since no hardware changes were made to the form factor, the same USB port was kept for the 800 LR version.

You should be able to see all of the details around the upgrade listed in the changelog within the next few days.

3 Likes

@jtp10181 do any of you drivers work with this yet?

No, but the built in driver for the old ZSE18 should work for the motion alerts in the meantime.

I will be working on a full driver for the new model soon, and it will probably work for the old one as well. I have both old and new on hand to test with.

1 Like

For indoors, thats a serious loss of WAF points! Now that I got the ZEN25's working without spamming my network , i wish I couldget a couple more.

I had completely forgotten about that, that could also work!