Zooz device associations

It included without security and you are concerned? I found all my switches worked better (for automation control from the hub) when joined without security. I had them all joined with S2 and then eventually switched them all to no security. If you plan to use a lot of direct associations though, both devices need to be on the same security level.

If by rebuild you mean you are running a full zwave repair constantly, that is one reason your mesh is slow. That's a lot of traffic and it will take a while to recover. If you only make one or two changes just leave it alone and it will wort itself out..

jtp10181: I need to explain a bit more. I started looking at the response timings between a ZEN34 battery switch and a ZEN51 relay. However I realized my most critical timing is where I will have two adjacent bulbs controlled by two ZEN71 switches. I tried to setup an association between the ZEN 71 switches but could not get it to work. I looked at the Z Wave details page in the hub for clues and saw two "anomalies" . Firstly my ZEN34 switch was routing through too many nodes and one of my ZEN71 switches joined with no security.

I am waiting for Zooz to respond on the security issue but I am thinking about adopting your approach, no security. Once that is resolved I will address the routing issue, I think it was caused by me moving the ZEN34 switch after I had included it. I am not running the Z Wave repair function, yet!

Oh...yeah...mine are no security. I imagine the two devices having to handle the S2 portion without help from the hub would cause some delays.

No need really, the device probably timed out n the S2 bootstrapping and got paired with no security, it happens occasionally. Or you simply clicked the wrong button when pairing.

If you move a device you can run a repair on just that device, but generally this is not available on battery devices. Also do not implicitly trust the routing you see on the details page. Its been explained different ways but I like to think of it as the last advertised route. The device may have changed routes since then.

Many thanks for the advice, I'm going with no security!

1 Like

Success!!! I included the two ZEN71 switches with no security. The association works and the response time is in the order of 60ms. However with the hub powered off the response time is now 4.5secs. So with the current Z Wave spec associations are effectively no use without the hub.

It is possible I think that they were routing through the hub, since the hub acts as a node in the mesh. So with the hub offline they had to reroute. I think if you keep the hub offline and try it a few times it should get better as it figures a new route.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.