Zooz 800 Series Matching Midsize Screwless Wallplates

I need to purchase all the wall plates, blanks, and on/off rocker switches soon. I know that the Leviton wall plates are supposed to be a close match to the Zooz switches, but I prefer a midsize. Has anyone found screwless, midsize wall plates that match the Zooz 800 series pretty closely?

Oh FYI, I did contact The Smartest House and they recommended these, if you don't mind plates with screws:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pass-Seymour-Legrand-Trademaster-1-Gang-White-Single-Decorator-Wall-Plate/3235202

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pass-Seymour-Legrand-Trademaster-2-Gang-White-Double-Decorator-Wall-Plate/3236791

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pass-Seymour-Legrand-Trademaster-3-Gang-White-Triple-Decorator-Wall-Plate/3236797

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I3UT1Y/

But they didn't have any Screwless Plate recommendations.

I use the Eaton Aspire screwless wallplates (satin white) and think they're a pretty good match. Here's one of those plates with an Inovelli LZW31-SN on the left and a Zooz ZEN34 (700-series) on the right:

And here's a Zooz ZEN32 (700-series), also at a different angle:

I know subtleties of color are hard to show in photos, but all appear to match close enough for me in person that I can't tell the difference. (They also work well with gloss white Lutron Pico remotes, IMHO. One thing where I can tell a slight difference is with the new/3rd-gen Inovelli products, models starting with "LZ," where the Inovelli seems a bit yellower -- but even then it's so close I wouldn't have noticed if this post didn't make me just look.)

One such plate:

https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-9521WS-Aspire-Screwless-Wallplate/dp/B000KA6GCG

I imagine the Lutron ones would also be a good match, but I haven't tested them myself (only judging based on the Pico) -- and I don't really care for the "sandwiched" look their Claro plates have -- so I can't say for sure.

3 Likes

I went ahead and did some testing. I bought the following white screwless plates:
What worked:

1. Leviton 80309-SW, White: Amazon photos showed them to be midsize, but they were actually standard. In my opinion, this is the closest color of all the ones I tried. If midsize doesn’t matter to you, then I’d use this one.

1. ENERLITES Gloss Finish Medium Size, White: Unless you have the Leviton and the ENERLITES plates together, it was hard to tell the difference between the two. The Zooz switches matched these well, too. My husband thought the Zooz switches matched these the best. The ENERLITES and Leviton are both really close matches that it’s really too close to tell.

What didn’t work:
3. ELEGRP Midsize, Matte White: These looked and felt very cheap. I didn’t bother trying them.
4. BESTTEN Midsize USWP4 Gloss White: These were too “yellow” compared to the Zooz switches.
5. BESTTEN Midsize USWP6 Gloss Snow White: These were too “white” compared to the Zooz switches.
6. Lutron Claro Gloss White: These were too “white” compared to the Zooz switches.

1 Like

I have all this brand in my house: https://www.legrand.us/wiring-devices/designer-switches-and-outlets/radiant-one-gang-screwless-wall-plate-white/p/rwp26w

I get them from Medard's (Midwest hardware store). Still need to order a 4-gang online because the store does not have them....

Looking close they are a little less glossy than the Zooz switches but on the wall they look good to me. The extra for the screw-less covers is totally worth it, looks so much cleaner without the exposed screws.

Thank you! If I can find them in store, I’ll try them too.

Two Zooz switches and a legrand 3-way dumb switch. These are older Zooz switches ZEN2x models but I don’t think the look has really changed.

You can see the gloss on the plate is less than the switch in this picture due to sun shining on it.

I went through this same effort when building my house. I settled for the Eatons (formerly Cooper) for three reasons:

1. Color was the closest to the dimmers/devices (Homeseer switches and Leviton outlets in my case). Leviton was almost identical as well.
  2. I hate the seam on the side of the Lutron’s and others where the front plate doesn’t “wrap” the sides of the back plate.
  3. At the time, Leviton’s front plate was tapered where it wraps the sides of the backplate. Probably less prone to collecting dust, but just didn’t look right to me.

And yes, I agree these cost a couple hundred dollars more for the whole house than traditional plates, but have learned that they pay off in another way. When your electrician trims out the house, you can have them install the devices, level them, and install the backplate. As long as the front plate wraps the backplate, the painter can then final paint and you don’t have to worry about an electrician coming back and scuffing up your walls as they level and install plates. If they get a little paint on the backplate, no big deal. The top plate covers it up.
After building a few houses, I found this was the cleanest approach. Second best approach was to pay the painter a couple hundred dollars to put the traditional plates on, which resulted in the same net cost anyway.

I can recommend the Legrand Radiants, but we chose against trying to match. Just like clothes, it just has to go together. The Legrand website has better selection that most physical or online retailers, so I did a bulk order for most of the house.

Our house is mostly white switches and outlets, but with gray plates. I don't recall the fancy paint name, but I would call it a light clay color.

Do you know if they have contractor packs of the Eaton? I see them on Lowe’s for $4.58 for single gangs, $7.67 double gang, and $9.38 for triple gang per unit.

TBH, since I had an order of 80 or so homeseer dimmers/switches, and several hundred wall plates, I contacted homeseer directly and asked if they could give me a bulk discount. They did.
It looks like they don’t sell them at HD (anymore?) but they do at Lowe’s. I know at HD, I’ve had success going to the pro desk and asking for bid room pricing (there’s a minimum purchase value for that). Lowes may do the same.

A funny story about HD Bid Room pricing - when I was building our house, I had about $1100 worth of trim material to buy one day. Took it to the pro desk and asked for bid room pricing - they offered no discount. The guy at the pro desk told me to go pick out something over $400, so I picked out a $600 miter saw and added that to the order. That put my total over the bid room pricing threshold and I received a $650 discount. Ended up saving $50 on my trim and got a free miter saw.

Edit: you may also have success checking with a local electrical supply house for bulk discounts.

2 Likes