Zooz 800 Series Devices & Z-Wave Long Range

Are there any mainstream controllers with LR? I don't think Zooz's own controller even has it yet.

3 Likes

It doesn't.

The only end-user commercial hub that supports LR is Z-Way / zwave.me... Well, only one I can think of anyway. And that is an 'interesting' product from a support standpoint. I'll just leave it at that.

There are some non-consumer ones that also support and use it that I have, but that is a bit of a moot point for this discussion as they are distributor or licensed installer availability only.

6 Likes

Talking about number of devices available to purchase.. Not when the standard was introduced.

4 Likes

As the OP, I wanted to add a couple of comments.

First, I thought the comments by @velvetfoot were pretty darn clever, rather than argumentative.

Second, I understand Hubitat's decision to implement Matter. But as a non-coder, I am curious about the general level-of-effort required to implement ZWave LR on HE. Is implementing LR considered a large effort for HE. Half as much work, twice as much work, as implementing Matter?

1 Like

My completely made up estimate is that it would take about 1/15th the work of implementing Matter.

Sound right @bcopeland ?

(I'm being intentionally absurd)

1 Like

Um, I have a Zoom ZAC93 LR in my HA Yellow. It has Z-Wave 800 Chip and does Z-Wave LR. Seems to work. Any LR device can be paired to the ZAC93 on HA and brought to Hubitat through HADB, which I use to bring in devices not supported on Hubitat.

HA can't pair anything in LR mode yet - zwave js doesn't support it (and won't any time soon with their main dev out on paternity leave).

Anything you paired with that are operating in mesh mode, and not using LR at all.

5 Likes

I am also really curious what Z-wave devices are you pairing to HA that are not supported on HE? I think at this point almost any Z-Wave device using current command class standards should work with generic drivers at the least, and there are many generic drivers for older devices as well.

Z-Wave is honestly very easy to support. The only thing that gets tricky is all the settings some devices have. With current command classes you can even have a driver request all the settings info from the device and then display it for the user, which I have done in my Z-wave scanner driver. Unfortunately I have only seen it work on Zooz devices so far.

2 Likes

I believe you misunderstood my statement. I only use my HA Yellow for those devices that arenā€™t supported on Hubitat. Right now, thatā€™s Litter Robot, Sure Petcare SureFlap Hub with two SureFlap Pet Doors, and RatGDO.

Yes, I have a ZAC93 LR inside, but just for testing, no extensive use, no active Z-Wave or Zigbee devices. Again, just for testing. And, as I learned tonight from Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel), apparently the ZAC93 didnā€™t pair LR with the current zwave js. :man_shrugging:

I donā€™t do any automation on the HA Yellow, just bring devices over to Hubitat using HADB.

2 Likes

No worries. The entire LR thing in between device hardware, device firmware, the hub hardware, and the hub software is confusing for MANY.

We have devices where the hardware support LR, but the firmware doesn't.
We have hubs where the hardware supports LR, but the software stack doesn't.

Etc.

Confusing for the casual person, if not MOST people...

3 Likes

It does.

1 Like

This is my single less favorite ā€œfeatureā€ of Z-Waveā€¦ The anything goes messy configuration.. I wish there was more standardized configs tied to the specific command classes.

1 Like

At least with zwave there are FAR fewer manufacturer specific clusters.... Unlike zigbee.... :wink:

Those are the ones that make me mental.

2 Likes

Just tell them all to use the config v4 command class with all the settings and info that can be requested from the device. I have used that to build a fully functional parameters section on the fly for the Zooz devices that have it implemented. Its not AS nice as hand coding each one to be more user friendly, but it is functional.

1 Like

I have a C-5 hub that I've been using with two Zooz ZSE44 Temp-Humidity sensors. I recently bought what I assumed would be the same sensor but apparently it is a ZSE44 with the 800LR suffix.
Can I make this sensor work with my C-5 hub? The sensor pairs with the hub but does not assign a device driver during the pairing process and there is no communication after manually assigning the Zooz ZSE44 driver. What (besides a newer hub) will allow this to work with the C-5?

It should work fine on a C5.
Manually select a driver (system or my custom driver).
Then press configure if the device page has it and wake the device up.

2 Likes

I'm using the system driver named ZSE44 "Temperature Humidity XS Sensor" This driver does not have any commands. It also doesn't display the protocol or serial number of the 800LR device but does show both those parameters for the two older ZSE44's. It is, however, now showing values for temp and humidity.
Where do I find your driver?

It's in HPM - just search for "zse44" - it should be the only hit ("Zooz Sensors Advanced Drivers")

Also can be found here: [DRIVER] Zooz Sensors Advanced (ZSE40, ZSE41, ZSE42, ZSE44)

I think the main advantage of my driver is it has all the settings exposed and allows more range in the calibration offset. I am not sure if the offset settings ever got fixed for the system driver, they used to not even work correctly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.