Zooz 800 Series Devices & Z-Wave Long Range

Just installed 2 Zooz ZSE41 800LR sensors on the gates in my backyard. Put them in the Zooz Outdoor Enclosures. They are meant to replace the Ring Outdoor Sensors which "mostly" work. The Zooz sensors are working sooooo much better than the Ring sensors. Faster connection speed, No errors.

Sure would like to connect these as Zwave Long Range. Hubitat... when will we have ZWave Long Range support?

The C-7 and C-8 hubs are LR-capable. However, staff do not normally provide timelines for future feature releases. So, there's unlikely to be an answer for this question until it actually happens. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just got a few of the ZSE41 (and a couple ZAC38s to put one at either end of the house "just because"). I have to say I am pretty impressed with the ZSE41 so far, especially with how small it is. It will be interesting to see how battery life is. I did send them a couple pieces of feedback on it:

1. The DSK sticker gets buried under the tape so it would be better to have on the inside cover or as a separate sticker someone can place elsewhere.
  2. It would be good if the two contact sensors could report which side triggered so you could set up a bunch of options with that. Just having a sensor on both sides is a plus to begin with and makes it easier to place.

It would be more accurate to say that "Staff NEVER provides timelines for future feature releases." And I am OK with that.

I just hoping to let Staff know that there is some desire for them to implement ZWave Long Range.

There have been rare cases..but in any case, @JasonJoel can assure you they are aware of this one. :wink:

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

Hubitat is full of great staff. I have no doubt it will come sooner or later! The reality is just that they can't do everything all at the same time, so feature development has to be sequenced.

I will certainly agree that it does become frustrating when you have devices in hand, the hub has the hardware to support them, and the only thing we are lacking is software.

But it will come, I'm very optimistic of that. There aren't any hardware, firmware, or other external "show stoppers" to prevent it at this point (that I know of).

2 Likes

In my opinion their track record is not bad either. Matter came pretty quickly...

But long range z-wave has been languishing.

edit: As an aside, I'd be interested in who deleted my "it doesn't Matter" post, because that is truly what's at play here. Scant company resources are being diverted to Matter. Decisions were made as to what "matters" and what doesn't.

1 Like

This may be true but your post was not contributing to the topic at hand, and basically trying to invoke arguments. I had thought about flagging it but left it, seems someone else had the same idea.

IMO it was the correct business decision, so while it may be frustrating I cannot blame them for making the move they did. Lets not argue about it here.

3 Likes

That's your opinion.
Feel free to censor my opinion.
Seems like everybody is a 'moderator' these days.

1 Like

Z-Wave LR has not been abandoned.. Simple fact is that a lot more Matter devices where available at the time it was decided that Matter would be first. Also the LR devices are backwards compatible with existing Z-Wave code, whereas most Matter devices had no such backwards compatibility.

8 Likes

That time was later than sooner, since lr z-wave predates Matter, doesn't it?

Are there any mainstream controllers with LR? I don't think Zooz's own controller even has it yet.

3 Likes

It doesn't.

The only end-user commercial hub that supports LR is Z-Way / zwave.me... Well, only one I can think of anyway. And that is an 'interesting' product from a support standpoint. I'll just leave it at that.

There are some non-consumer ones that also support and use it that I have, but that is a bit of a moot point for this discussion as they are distributor or licensed installer availability only.

6 Likes

Talking about number of devices available to purchase.. Not when the standard was introduced.

4 Likes

As the OP, I wanted to add a couple of comments.

First, I thought the comments by @velvetfoot were pretty darn clever, rather than argumentative.

Second, I understand Hubitat's decision to implement Matter. But as a non-coder, I am curious about the general level-of-effort required to implement ZWave LR on HE. Is implementing LR considered a large effort for HE. Half as much work, twice as much work, as implementing Matter?

1 Like

My completely made up estimate is that it would take about 1/15th the work of implementing Matter.

Sound right @bcopeland ?

(I'm being intentionally absurd)

1 Like

Um, I have a Zoom ZAC93 LR in my HA Yellow. It has Z-Wave 800 Chip and does Z-Wave LR. Seems to work. Any LR device can be paired to the ZAC93 on HA and brought to Hubitat through HADB, which I use to bring in devices not supported on Hubitat.

HA can't pair anything in LR mode yet - zwave js doesn't support it (and won't any time soon with their main dev out on paternity leave).

Anything you paired with that are operating in mesh mode, and not using LR at all.

5 Likes

I am also really curious what Z-wave devices are you pairing to HA that are not supported on HE? I think at this point almost any Z-Wave device using current command class standards should work with generic drivers at the least, and there are many generic drivers for older devices as well.

Z-Wave is honestly very easy to support. The only thing that gets tricky is all the settings some devices have. With current command classes you can even have a driver request all the settings info from the device and then display it for the user, which I have done in my Z-wave scanner driver. Unfortunately I have only seen it work on Zooz devices so far.

2 Likes