Zooz 72 Control 2 Bulbs Not Physically Wired That Way?

We have 2 hallways lightbulbs that are wired separately to 2 switches. I'm not sure why the electrician did it that way instead of just having then wired to one switch... My husband does not want the electrician to have to rewire them (unless that's not hard and maybe I can do it myself?). For now, our plan is to have the "dumb bulb" wired directly to the Zooz 72, install a Z-Wave smart bulb in the other, and have a switch cover over the other switch. Can the Zooz 72 virtually control the Z-Wave smart bulb at the same time as the "dumb bulb"?

The way you've drawn the circuit it seems the two switches are in the same box. If this is the case it would be easy to wire the two lights to one Zooz switch. You could use two wire nuts or WAGO connectors and two 4 or 5" pieces of #14 wire. You could probably get a small piece of wire from Home Depot as they sell it by the foot.

If interested, turn off the breaker(s), pull the switches out and take some photos of the wires and post them.

2 Likes

Yes. The two switches are in the same electrical box. I’ll try to post something tomorrow. Thank you.

For your original question, yes you could have the Zooz switch control the smart bulb. It would be hub dependent, you would just need to create a rule on the hub. You might even be able to use the system mirror app to mirror the status from the switch to the bulb.

I agree though if both switches are in the same box, just wire them both to the same switch, should be pretty easy. Or if you want to keep independent control for whatever reason you could also put in a second smart and then have them bound together in the hub with a rule so you only have to press one switch to turn both on/off.

Lots of ways to do what you want.

1 Like