Zooz 4 in 1 Error - IndexOutOfBoutndsException

I am getting this stranger error from a Monoprice branded sensor that uses the Zooz 4 in 1 sensor driver:

[error] java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 (parse)

Has any one else seen this? Any idea what could be the cause and if it can be fixed?

I talked to Zooz support once about the Monoprice version and their claim was that it wasn't their same sensor so wouldn't use the same driver. Have you or anybody else checked the parameters that both support to see if the Zooz driver should work for it?

I think I looked in the manual once and all the parameters I looked at were the same (really only looked at the ones I cared to set, so there might be some oddball), but I don't know anything about the contents of the reports it sends. It may be helpful to see where the above error actually occurs. If you have debug logging enabled, it may help you tell what it's between. Or do you only see it under specific circumstances, like when you save the device preferences?

Anyway, if anyone would be intimately familiar with both devices, @krlaframboise strikes me as who that person would be. I'm tagging him here to see if he has any insight he'd be gracious enough to share (but the Zooz version is probaly more widely used around here and I don't know if I've ever seen him mention this particular Monoprice lookalike).

I haven't - but it looks like @bertabcd1234 has :slight_smile:

I don't have debug enabled yet, but I'll turn it on. It is something that I could only find three times in my logs and there wasn't any thing unusual happening that I am aware. Will continue to keep an eye on it though and post debug logs once it occurs again.

If I had to guess I'd say that the message being sent to Hubitat doesn't include all the information it's supposed to for that command class and it's the built-in parse method that's throwing the exception.

If a parameter is set to a value not supported by the firmware the settings most likely won't sync which could have a slight impact on the battery life, but it won't cause an exception to be thrown.

If debug logging is enabled and I'm right about the partial message then it might log the message causing the problem, but debug logging turns off after 30 minutes so good luck trying to capture that...

Your best bet for capturing it is to set all the threshold settings to their most frequent reporting intervals, wake it up, trigger motion, and expose it to different light/temp/humidity during those 30 minutes.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure attempting to fix an issues that's difficult to reproduce and doesn't appear to be hurting anything is extremely low on Hubitat's priority list...

2 Likes

Thanks @krlaframboise!

Not easy indeed! I’ll see what I can do and report back when I have development.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.