Zooz 4 in 1 700 chip

I have tried searching for this particular "new" Zooz 4 in 1 sensor's problem, and couldn't find anything, so I am posting a new topic.
I bought 4 of these "new" sensors thinking the problems with a C7 HE have been solved and they do appear to be BUT....

1. the firmware reported with the in-built driver is 32.32.
  2. I always have a "1 pending change" in the status and I have configured and woken up the device many times, but the pending change always comes back.
  3. I have the motion set to 15 seconds, and A) motion is detected and B) IMMEDIATELY motion is inactive, even when I am waving my hand continuously infront of the sensor!
    ONLY after i stop waving, 15 seconds later TWO more inactive events are logged, NOT one!

This would be VERY useless in a rule if motion activity was used, or the motion was used to control a light, as the light would turn on then IMMEDIATELY turn off.
Here is a screenshot of my log:

Notice the time stamps.

I had high hopes for this new version, but no, and I may be returning them....

Another thing I noticed is that the tamper ONLY reports when the cover is on.
IF the cover is taken off, it ALSO reports clear!
Here is a screenshot of the tamper switch being cycled:

WOW! zooz REALLY screwed up again!

Could be a Hubitat driver issue, not a Zooz issue, but I don't have one so can't say for sure. Hubitat's driver has likely not been updated for whatever changes the new one may have beyond just the chipset change.

There is at least one community option. Here's one I know of: [BETA] Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Multi-sensor (Driver)

Thank You bert....
I am now trying the driver that Jeff Page wrote and it is better, but the sensor still times out even when there is continuous motion.
I need to do some more testing, but I think it might be a hardware issue, so not solveable with a driver.... guess I will keep trying.
Thank you for your post!

I had issues with my Zooz 4 in 1 sensors also. Ended up powering down the hub. Not reboot. Try that. It worked for me.

I have 4 of them on a different zwave 700 hub and they are all working perfectly, so I'm not convinced it is a firmware issue necessarily. But it could be a firmware issue that only comes into play in certain scenarios - I have seen that before on other devices.

I'm sure @bcopeland will look at it when he gets time. If not, I'll move one of mine that is working from the other hub to my hubitat c7 and see what happens. Actually I might do that either way just for my own curiosity since I know exactly what messages I get on the other one.

I mainly use mine for motion + humidity, so have the temp and lux reports as slow as possible.

For reference I have mine setup like:
Temp reporting threshold = 50
Lux reporting threshold = 50
Humidity reporting threshold = 1
Trigger interval = 15s
Motion sensitivity = highest/1
LED = off

Well I have mine set for motion 3 (default), 15 seconds, led=on (so that I can see activity).
When I move infront of the sensor, it detects motion (active) and the led flashes.
I keep moving infront of the sensor to try and keep it active, but 20 seconds later it flashes again and reports inactive even though i didn't stop moving.
This would mess up a rule that used active and inactive to run a trigger as it would falsely report inactivity.

EDIT: well NOW it seems to be working! Don't know what changed but as long as I keep moving, it remains triggered.
As soon as I stop, about 15 second later it sends inactivity, although it waits another 15 seconds before it will trigger again.
Strange. I wish I knew what I did to change this!

i will keep testing just to make sure.

It doesn't appear to be the hub as I can see the indicator on the sensor flash, and that isn't from the hub.
Thanks for the thought though!

Guess that is the minimum for "motion clear delay" though.... parameter #5

Actually many motion sensors work that way. It isn't a big deal from a rule standpoint unless you have an off delay less than 15 seconds.. because if you're still moving the motion will go back active again anyway.

That said I've never looked at this sensor close enough to see if it stays active the entire time there's motion or goes off and then back on again. I always set up my rules such that they will work with either type of sensor so it isn't something I look for.

Yes it will but ONLY after the "clear" delay, which is minimum 15 seconds.
Yes, others also operate the same.... as long as there is motion, it will stay active (without sending additional "actives"), and as soon as motion stops, it will send "inactive" after the inactive timeout.

What may have been happening when i was testing this thing out, was that i too close to the sensor and it wasn't seeing activity, or was saturated and not seeing IR motion.

I have since moved it away and it seems to be working.

No, I meant there are other motion sensors that go back to inactive after a set amount of time regardless if there is still continuous motion or not. I have a number of motion sensors that work this way.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that both styles of motion sensors exist and are pretty common. I'll look at these tomorrow to see which way these work.

NO NO NO... I am NOT trying to argue either. I hope it didn't sound that way.

I really appreciate all the responses and ideas that everyone gives.

There are sooooo many different sensors on the market, and each one has it's own niggles, and when another person is familiar with them, it is very helpful to hear of their experiences!

I am giving this new version of the ZSE40 a try as there have been some good reviews about them, but the earlier ones, on a C7 hub, brought down their Zwave network.
This new one is supposed to be better and I am going to try several of them to see. I bought 4 so we'll see!

1 Like

Let me know if any issues with the driver and I will update when I can. Did it fix the issue with the tamper being reported wrong? I thought I tested that and it worked correctly.

1 Like

Hi Jeff. Yes! The tamper is reporting correctly with your driver. Thank You.

1 Like