Zigbee/Zwave Surge Protector for Living Room Devices

I have 2 devices in my living room: a TCL QM8 85” TV (Google TV) and the Nakamichi Dragon Surround Sound that I’m trying to figure out how to add to HE.

For the TCL TV with Google TV, it looks like the Chromecast driver could be an option. Has anyone here successfully used the Chromecast driver for their TV with built-in Google TV?

For the Dragon, I’m fairly certain I won’t find drivers that will work with it, but I’m fine with using a remote to customize its settings. I will probably just use multiple smart plugs or a smart surge protector to control ON/OFF for my “Movie Time” rule.

I tried to do a little search on the forums here on Zigbee/Zooz smart surge protectors and the consensus seems to be only the Zooz Zen20 is reliable, but it’s also $70… Has anyone here had any luck with other Zigbee surge protectors working with the "Generic Zigbee Multi-Endpoint Switch” or did you run into more trouble than it’s worth? Here is one I found:
Jinvoo Zigbee Power Strip Surge Protector

I've tried a few, including one that looks a lot like (but wasn't branded exactly as) the no-name Zigbee one you linked to. It did end up working for me, but the lack of UL/ETL/etc. testing and generally "cheap"-feeling construction has me concerned. There could be differences between these where some may work and others not.

The Zooz may be expensive, but it works and is also ETL listed. You can often find it on sale for a bit less during their sales, often around major US holidays (though the next one might be Thanksgiving/Black Friday unless they have some surprise between now and then).

However, if you don't need Z-Wave or Zigbee specifically but just want Hubitat compatibility, keep in mind that TP Link Kasa power strips are also compatible with Hubitat. They are Wi-Fi, but they work natively (or with the community integration the native one is based on). They often cost a bit less, especially the model with fewer outlets if that meets your needs.

4 Likes

Good idea on the TP-Link. I can always stick in a Zigbee repeater in the USB port of it if I need it. Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

I have the 75" version of that TV. Chrome cast integration works fine. I use it mainly to power it down at the end of the night.

Looking at the specs it uses earc which means it will shutdown when the tv does.

3 Likes

Oh sweet! Thank you! This makes me happy :slight_smile:

Oh for the tv we also have it set for anytime after 6, if the channel (app) changes that the lights (Lutron Caseta) dim to our desired movie levels. Both our nightstands have PICO's on a pedestal. The upper and lower are for turning on/off the table lamp, the middle up and down handle dimming, but the center button turns off all the TV's in the house if on, locks all doors, (notifies if it locked correctly) turns off all lights am etc... Just giving you use ideas of how we handle the TV's.

3 Likes