Zigbee / Zwave Leak/Moisture sensor with sensor cable ("tail")?

What is the best leak/moisture sensor with an integral sensor cable that is either zigbee or zwave?
ETA: After researching @danabw's suggestion, I realized that both his recommended sensor and this Aeotec only have detection at the probe at the end of the cable.
I'm seeking a sensor in which the ENTIRE cable acts as a detector. So my revised question is are there ANY of those that are Zwave or Zigbee?
I know such devices exist, because that is how the Abode water leak sensor cables work - any part of the cable that gets wet sets off the device.

The ONLY one is can find is the Aeotec Pro zwave for $50 at Jeff's store. The reviews indicate:
Cons: no integral siren, poor battery life and battery it ships with lasts only a few months
Pros: Integral humidity sensor, which would be nice and if it works I don't mind paying a bit more. Anyone have any specific experience with this particular device they can share?
Are there other brands that include a sensor cable that I'm missing?

I already have a bunch of the Linkind sensors which seem to work fine, but those don't have a tail. I want to put some sensors around my encapsulated crawl, but its plastic "floor" is over very uneven dirt. I'm concerned that even placing the Linkind at what appear to be the low spots, there could be a significant delay in alerting for a leak while the water meanders around until it hits the Linkind. Seems a sensor cable would cover more area with one device so produce better results/quicker detection. Open to suggestions. I also want one with a sensor cable for under the refrigerator, as there is insufficient clearance for a device and by the time the water gets to the side of the refrig there is probably already significant damage.

I have (had) two of these (the first picture in the topic):

One has worked w/out issue for months, on the other one the remote sensor tail went off and I had to discconect it and use the sensor normally w/out the tail.

@danabw Thank you
I deduce you are referring to the "NEO Coolcam Water Leak Sensor"
If so, looking up that device indicates the cable itself is not a sensor cable, but rather just a cable extender for a smaller thinner puck they label the "probe" which acts as the sensor, but I'm not sure.

Have you tested to see if getting any portion of the cable wet sets off the sensor, or if the puck must encounter moisture to be set off?

Yes that is how it works. The cable leads to the remote sensor. It doesn't matter if the cable gets wet the sensor itself has to get wet.

1 Like

You could just get the neo cool cam and then cut the cable open every 6" the entire length so the wires are exposed. Bingo you've got a cable that will sense moisture anyplace on the wire where you cut it open. :slightly_smiling_face:

I remember someone posting about this not too long ago. I think it is new so not sure how well it would be supported, but if it reports wet/dry like any other leak sensor I imagine it would work? A bit expensive though.

3 Likes

I use the Zlink ZL-LD-100 from Amazon. So far it has been working for me. I like it because it can be battery powered or USB if you have an under the sink outlet

But less than the cost of cleaning up a waterlogged crawl space :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

@jptech99 - that one looks awesome. As you noted, it also comes with an awesome price....

You can also get these that are compatible with the Sinope loop. (they're fantastic)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEO-Tuya-ZigBee-Smart-Home-Water-Leak-Sensor-Wireless-Flooding-Detector-Leakage-Detection-Alert-Level-Overflow-Alarm-Life-App-Remote-Control-Works-Wi/888434671

1 Like

Oh nice didn't even think of that but makes sense since its just a regular 3.5mm plug. I have the zwave version of the NEO sensor with the included probe dropped into my sump just above the normal high water point (to detect an impending overflow). Anyway, so far sensor works when I have tested it.

Looks like you could possibly daisy chain those Sinope cables as well?

1 Like

Yup, product page says you can daisy chain two together.

1 Like

There's also the Residio version of the cable ($20 Amazon.com), looks to be very similar.

1 Like

I might have to get one for testing with the Tuya/Neo Coolcam sensors.

I had some "tails" from wifi leak detectors I wanted to reuse on the Linkinds so I soldered in a 3.5mm jack to them. I drilled a hole in the top of each and ran a 4 pole headphone jacks into them and soldered them into a pair of the connection points for the built-in sensors. The built-in sensors work as does an external one I can plug in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VVSGJJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like

@jtp10181 , @danabw

I can confirm that these work with the neo coolcam/Tuya and are way cheaper than the sinope... You can make them as long as you want and use the oem tail with them as well. (I test the loop and the tail connected to the loop)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7EVB1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Looks nice, thanks for the tip.

Cool. I’m gonna see if this sensor works as well.

1 Like

I cannot determine if the probe on that one is a 3.5mm jack or hard wired? Guess you will find out.

1 Like

Lol, I noticed that. Would be nice if they showed the probe connection to the sensor. If it’s not a 3.5mm jack, I’ll prob send it back.

1 Like