Zigbee vs Z-Wave vs Standalone WIFI

I was just ruminating on my couple of Kasa outlets. They need a (local) wifi router to work, but no line powered repeaters. Zigbee and Z-Wave don't need wifi but in all likelihood depend on line powered repeaters to some degree. All need the Hubitat hub to work (independently of the web).

In some kind of power outage situation I'm thinking of, I can see the advantage of the point to point control of wifi vs a line powered mesh, for, maybe, more reliable communication when only certain devices are powered.

Has anyone else ruminated on the as well?

Not quite... But along similar lines.... (I also have Kasa smart outlets)...

I was also thinking earlier today about the fact that many of my Wi-Fi-based systems, such as my Bond bridge, Hue bridge, Kasa outlets, etc.... Provide the opportunity to integration with multiple systems like HE, HA, etc, whereas Zigbee and Z-Wave device are tied to their parent hub....

???

Line-powered devices, independent of protocol, would be impacted by this situation.

4 Likes

That is true....

Do you mean like a certain circuit being off and that impacting some key repeaters?

I guess maybe hub-&-spoke may possibly sometime have an advantage there, but there's still a whole lot of "it depends..." involved. Plus, if I have one or more circuits down (intentional or otherwise), my home automations aren't high on my list of concerns.

Otherwise, I agree with aaiyar -- if all power's out, everything's down.

2 Likes

When I fail over to standby power even the 30 seconds without power tends to send my zwave mesh into convulsions whereas wifi and zigbee recover more gracefully. My APs are all PoE and on a UPS so it's just a matter of endpoints reconnecting to an AP after the endpoint powers back up. With zwave it often takes a shutdown/power unplug/restart to get them all happy happy again.

1 Like

Ive also found that my Kasa wifi light switches are basically instant on/off compared to zigbee or even worse Z-wave. With wifi outage so rare in world I find myself implementing some more of them.

Such data are typically reflective of weak zigbee and zwave mesh networks.

All my motion sensors are zigbee, connected to Hubitat via a bridge (HA). Yet my motion lighting automations indicate that zwave, zigbee, and Caséta switches/dimmers turn on in less than 200 ms of motion being detected.

4 Likes

It really depends on the equipment too. The Sonoff and Tuya motion sensors are reasonably fast. The lights come on before you reach for the switch but my house is all dumb switch to Sonoff ZBminis. I'm sure the motion hop to HE to Zbmini to relay is causing my delays.

I deal with it as I want everything in my home to work "normal" for my mother in law and all those other critical types.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.