Zigbee USB power adapter or inline switch?

I was just doing searches earlier this week for a Zigbee operated in-line USB power switch. I ended up with a couple of manual in-line switches for the time being.

Interesting about the bulb. My mind is too binary I suppose.

Since this is going OT I'll say I won't respond after this other than a like, maybe it's topic adjacent, but I'm curious why you find the Zigbee motion sensors better. My Aeotec seemed to work fine until it died in my basement from the cold I think... or chinaware maybe..

This is a good example.

I agree they are too. They are easily 2x as fast as any zwave motion sensor I have...and more likely 4x as fast. I've personally had way more luck and better response times with zigbee.

Back on topic. It would be nice if they made an in-wall outlet with 2 USB outlets which were each switchable (along with one of the outlets)... how about that!

I'm confused. Are these dual compatibility, either zwave or zigbee?

Got a link?

No, they are just zigbee.

These are Zigbee but the USB is not able to be switched On/Off. The USB is always ON.
Zigbee wall outlet

Then that is not what the OP is looking for.

Iā€™m not a hater, but prefer Zigbee on HE. For the most part, I welcome whatever works consistently. But Iā€™m trying not to over-do it on the Z-Wave stuff. Pain to have to fix rules if a Z-Wave device drops, but Zigbee just slots right back in, and you go about your business without having to touch any of your rules.

I just wanted to control a string of plug-in leds rather than a usb-powered appliance, so cannibalizing the inline dimmer module from a Sylvania 72569 under-cabinet light worked perfectly. No stacked power adapters in order to get HE control.
And for $16 delivered!!

I've tested it with a 6vdc and a 12vdc power adapter. The dimmer and on-off work as expected with either voltage. I cut off the micro usb end and converted it to a dc barrel connector using the red (+) and the blue (-) wires .

2 Likes

Hey @rcjordan I just saw this.
Little confusing.
I think it turns on/off the outlet and 2 USB ports at the same time...

Hi @rcjordan, Re the above Sylvannia light strip. I took your advice and purchased one of these and also a neat 12v battery pack that has both a 12v connection and USB 5v, perfeect for what I want...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I cannot get the light strip to turn on. The adapter that came with the light strip indicates it outputs 20volts and I have confirmed that. The battery above measures 12v (11.96) but it does not activate the light. Are you sure the strip operates correctly with 12volts? or am I miss reading your message!

Thanks again

As I mentioned above, I was seeking to control a string of led lights and only used the switch module out of that Sylvania kit.

I just bought this:
https://amazon.com/dp/B07TS2GZCJ/

Granted I flashed the firmware with Tasmota and added it to Home Assistant, but I had Tasmota working with Hubitat before I had HA.
I posted this because it has a group of controllable USB ports.

Thanks @rcjordan . I re-read your post and realized my mistake. I have now just purchased a 12v LED light strip that I hope will work with the relay/adapter.

Thanks again for your suggestion

That looks really handy. Is there any way to control this from HE. There are so many devices that are WiFi based coming out now. Is our only option IFTTT when WiFi is involved?

Cheers

No, you don't need IFTTT for wifi devices, You can use Tasmota or Hubduino

I use both, Tasmota is constantly evolving with new devices being added constantly and a relatively easy flashing process if you have a Raspberry pi running.

Hubduino does not require a RPi to flash, but requires a little bit of Arduino coding skills. It also has tighter integration with Hubitat for the devices currently supported compared to tasmota (imo). And may require you to disassemble the device to flash it, although I was able to flash pre-compiled Hubduino binaries to some devices using tuya-convert ( the RPi flasher used to get tasmota onto smartlife based devices).

Mike

3 Likes

As @kuzenkohome said IFTTT isn't required once you use a Raspberry Pi to trick the devil firmware out of these plugs and load the nice new Tasmota firmware. It's all wireless and is stupid easy if you can follow instructions, I have problems reading sometimes...
The only issue with these outlets is it would require the custom Tasmota driver that's floating around.
I have no custom drivers or apps in Hubitat anymore except for one Monoprice driver and the hub's been running like a champ.
These devices are integrated best with a beefier Home Automation platform like Home Assistant, which integrates very nicely with most things I've thrown the Tasmota firmware on.

Moral of the story, I use Hubitat only for Z-Wave/Zigbee stuff, which gets forwarded up to Home Assistant because I had issues running all of the custom code I was cobbling together from this amazing community.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I am reading all about Tasmota and Tamotizer. I have a couple of cheap Costco CE Smart plugs. When I have time I will take them apart and try to flash them with a Hubitat version of Tasmota and see how well they work within Hubitat.

Cheers

Check out Tuyaconvery first. Might not need to touch a screw.