Zigbee Unknown Device

No, the Zigbee chip in the C7 doesn't have the capability.

1 Like

When I've seen this in the past, there was a device removed from the hub but not actually reset (most, though not all, Zigbee devices will respond to a removal from the hub, though some don't — and none would if it was not powered at the time, so it could have been an oddball device or this particular problem). The solution was to find the device and reset it (or remove its battery, power, etc. so it stops trying to participate in your network).

There may be other possible causes, but in the above case, there isn't anything you can do from the hub — just something you can do from the device.

2 Likes

Okay. I thought I remembered seeing a thread where someone was using a usb stick with some downloaded software; in order to remove these "ghost" nodes?

I really appreciate the quick feedback. Thanks!

That is only for Z-Wave devices.

2 Likes

Lol.. ugh. Because, of course!

Okay, well, now I ask.
If I purchase a C-8, and go through the transfer process:

1. Will the ghost device also transfer without any issues?
  2. Will I then be able to execute the Repair Zigbee Network, in hopes it will remove the device?

You are dealing with a "stranded" device, which is different than ghosts. Stranded devices continue to communicate with the hub. When @csteele has time, he might share his story on how he identified a stranded device...

1 Like

Understood. Thank you for the clear explanation.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea what device it might be. I have experimented with multiple devices, some of which I do not physically have anymore.

Yes, it will.

That wouldn't work as long as the device is active.

If it's dead, it would go away. The problem is with active devices.

My unknown was removed from the hub and then removed from power (plug). The hub is trying to communicate with the device, the device is by all intents and purposes, dead. Even though you have a device number, unless you've saved some old pages, you won't know what device you removed, unless it's by memory, as in, you did one in the past week or something.

Okay. This gives me a lot of info to kick around today.
I'll go through my box of devices, and start messing around.
Thanks everyone for your input and assistance.
I'll come back here with any findings.

1 Like

Can you trace it to one device that you maybe recently removed?

What if it is alive, but is physically on the other side of the earth?
Is there a proximity with Zigbee, where the device will eventually stop communicating with the hub?

Unfortunately, no. It's been about two months since I've removed anything. All has been great for the past two months :slight_smile:

And this isn't a "breaking" issue... yet.
But I'm an OCD perfectionist.. and it's gonna drive me nuts!

I once figured it out by an old post I made on here, lol.

1 Like

If Zigbee would have been as powerful to reach the hub from the other side of the earth, I would finally be able to remove the line from my signature that says: "If a device stops working after pairing, you may need to add a repeater" :grinning:

3 Likes

Lol. That answers my question.
Okay, at least there is hope for that.

When I first ran the new beta graph, I had three "unknown" devices. Turned out there were three Zigbee moisture sensors from another location, never synced to this Hub, but still with batteries and still broadcasting. Removed the batteries, and the "unknowns" went away in a few hours.

3 Likes

Okay, I think I might have an idea of which device it could have been. I have dug it out of the box, and am ready. What should I do next?

Should I try to get it to join again? And then remove it properly?

Just for posterity...

It ended up being a Sengled lightbulb that was misbehaving when I originally tried to install. I reinstalled, and went through the join process. It was immediately found. I then went to the device page, and clicked "Remove Device" (red button at bottom). This has successfully removed the unknown device. Thanks one last time for the friendly and helpful information!

5 Likes