Zigbee switch Wiring two motion sensors from separate locations to control a lights in between both?

I want to turn on a lights running along a stairs between two entryways using motion sensors only in the evening mode. i want the motion sensors to trigger only in the evenings to turn on lights. i dont want motion sensors to trigger during day or night.
see the diagram of the wiring
motion%20sensor%20lights|690x217

its bit confusing for me to understand how motion sensors works. i know i can set the switch to turn on only in evening mode but my question is what happens when motion sensors triggers during day? will this motion sensor only works when switch is on? how do i set this up in hubitat ?

Sorry my question might be relating to more of electrical, but its quit not clear to me in sense of setting it up in HE.

please advise

thanks

What model motion sensors are these? It looks like they’re hardwired to physically open and close the circuit when motion is inactive/active?

Generally speaking, with a hub like HE, your motion sensors would send a motion event to the hub itself, either with zigbee-z-wave or it could also be done with a wired motion sensor (usually low voltage and that would also require something like konnected or hubduino to interface with the hub). Then based on a rule you’ve created on the hub, it will send a zigbee command to the light switch to turn on/off.

Thanks for the reply

im trying to connect with these motion sensors

Basically my idea is to get my lights to turn on on my stair case with wired motion sensors which are located one on top of the stairs and one down the stairs and only in the evening mode. any idea how i can set this up?

You can't. Those sensors do not interface with Hubitat but instead control the circuit directly, just a like a lightswitch will.

Are these already cut in and installed? If not I would just go with a zigbee motion sensor, the newest smartthings motions are cheap and fast at sensing motion. If your dead set on using these then the only way is using a relay and a contact sensor that has a dry contact or one with a reed switch that can be unsoldered. The sensor output would trigger the relay and close the contact sensor. Pretty clunky solution imo though.

1 Like

Right, as I thought that's a "dumb" PIR sensor and it's physically opening and closing the circuit every time motion is triggered. Hubitat can't do anything with that device because it's wired directly to your lights.

You want a smart motion sensor that interfaces with hubitat in the manner I described above.

1 Like