Zigbee repeater with backup power needed!

In my experience, yes. Also, how do you propose to give your plugs backup power? Whole-house generator?

I'm guessing @tj1 is not in the UK, so this is more anecdote than advice, but the SPG100 / SPG900 smart plugs are the only ones I know designed with battery backup for this exact reason. They even report when mains power is lost or restored. :+1:

The original AlertMe system was designed as a security system replacement, and sold as such by AlertMe and then British Gas before they pivoted to Hive. British Gas managed to kill off their "Safe and Secure" service before I ever had a fault with it.

Because my original security system was defunct before Hubitat I do use one HE hub as a security system replacement. It is on a small UPS and purely runs all the AlertMe gear. The only thing it really lacks is a cellular modem for emergency calls and SMS, but the router is also on a UPS and that does have a cellular emergency connection, so... fine, I guess.

Story time over. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes Aaiyar, since we installed already IP camera network all over the house and we already have POE field switches for the cameras in different areas of the house, and these switches are AC powered straight from the server's ups - we use CAT6 cables with integrated AC electrical cable to deliver both data and AC power to the field switches. From there, I can splice the AC line to power the ZB plugs. In fact i'm thinking of using the ZB plug with the PoE Switch so i can easily control the power of the PoE Switch and do scheduled reboots. Heck, I am now thinking of creating something to detect if the cameras in a cluster unresponsive (simple pings) and if they are, reboot the switch in that area thru the ZB plug :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - am I in an OK direction? :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.