Zigbee repeater best job cheapest price

Oh, i'll be honest, i didn't know you could power via USB, i thought the USB was providing power to another device. Thant could be interesting.

Yeah the little USB puck/dongle at the end of the repeater is the actual repeater, the other bit is just a 5V 1A power adapter.

2 Likes

Do these Enbrighten Zigbee Smart Light Outlet Receptacles work with Hubitat? I do not see them listed on the compatible devices, and the one customer question on Amazon says they are having trouble pairing and no Hubitat functionality (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Enbrighten-Receptacle-Tamper-Resistant-Controlled-43102/dp/B0842BDN9R

Edit: I found this discussion. Looks like it does!

I have about 15 of them working fine for me.

2 Likes

Just paired a Jasco Enbrighten ZB1001 Smart Outlet. It came up as type "device." When scrolling through device types, I saw some "Jascos," but no Zigbee. In your experience, what is the best device type to choose? "Generic Zigbee Outlet"? Do you run a non-built-in driver?

It doesn’t support power monitoring, so either GE Zigbee Switch, or Generic Zigbee Switch should work.

2 Likes

Hello HE fans .......

I have 6 Sonoff motion detectors, SNZB-03 around the exterior (protected from the weather). 2 of them just kept dropping out of contact. Others worked well. I suspect it is an RF issue. A signal issue.

Plug in a Sylvania plug, 72922-A in the room. Pull a misbehaving motion detector in the room, easily "re-pair" the detector. Great. Put it back in its position, outside. It stops connecting again.

Add a CMARS US-101 plug on the interior wall near the Sonoff on the exterior. It loses contact again.

I'm suspecting that the CMARS is not as strong a signal propagation device and the Sylvania is stronger. Tough to know for sure. Don't know how to objectively measure signal strength. Can only guess, based on results.

RF is a black art. Not for the timid. Thinking of sacrificing a goat next. :goat:

Anyone have a better suggestions on how to validate these perceptions (guesses)?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Add these:

I would think they would fix your issue.

4 Likes

I would try pairing them as close to their final place as possible.

This might be too far from the hub to be seen as a viable repeater as far as the motion sensor is concerned.
I added 6 of the SNZB04 a couple months ago and haven’t had a single issue with them. I have a few of the Sonoff dongles on the same HE as well as Sylvania, Samsung, and Hue plugs. None of the repeaters are on the periphery.

Interesting. Wasn't aware of dedicated Zigbee repeaters .. and with a credible antenna.

Thank you @Ken_Fraleigh . Much appreciated!

This community has been a big help to me as I've strived to get everything functioning and stable!

1 Like

One question ....... is it a passive device? Just plug it into a USB port to supply power, and it works?

I ask because it is not in the HE compatibility list. Does that mean it does not need to be configured in the hub?

(Guess that was more than one? :wink: )

Cheers and thank you!

No, it needs to be paired as a zigbee device to the hub. And then let it use the default driver that's called Device - a zigbee router doesn't need a specific driver to work as a router.

The one thing that you should know is that by default, these Sonoff dongles come with firmware to function as coordinators. So you have to flash them with router firmware. @Ken_Fraleigh has documented that process (on my phone, so I can't find that post easily - but a search of the forum with his username and Sonoff should find it_.

2 Likes

Maybe this thread: Market for High power ZIgbee Routers - #23 by aaiyar

2 Likes
1 Like

They sell several usb based ones on amazon. You can also use the newer Sengled plugs which are good repeaters.

I know it’s overkill, but I’m pretty sure the Sonoff dongle can repeat for 50 devices.

2 Likes

It's never overkill :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I added 5 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. 2 on 1 HE and 3 on the other HE. This because I added 6 Sonoff contact sensors and had one device (on my 2nd HE) that was very intermittently missing a closed event (which I finally figured out was probably being caused by interference. That might be bordering on overkill :wink:

1 Like

I think having a smaller number of really good zigbee routers is better than having a surfeit of routers. There are two routers that I find to be really good:

1. The really small TuYa USB routers.
  2. The Sonoff routers.

The TuYa ones can handle 10 devices a piece, and I have seen them repeat for that number consistently. The Sonoff ones can probably handle more, but I primarily use the two I have to pick up my car arrival sensor from half a block away. So they are on the periphery of my zigbee network (one is outside the house, and the other is in my garage).

3 Likes