Zigbee relay options UK

Hi. Looking for a simple zigbee relay switch to turn on/off my live demand to a combi boiler.
Any recommendations of this that's not too expensive and is proven to work okay on hubitat driver?
Would like a good name brand for reassurances as its in the loft and would not like a fire.

I've recently bought 3 Sonoff Zigbee switches, which are working very well! They were Β£6.95 each. I have them in an easy location for checking any issue, or if they heated up, but they have been fine.

I am using a custom driver, but would think you could also use the Generic in built driver too.

Is it definitely switched live? A lot of combi boilers are dry contact on the demand input, which you may struggle to find in ZigBee in the UK.

If it's definitely switched live then you could take a look at the SunRicher ZigBee line, I'm using some of their dimmer modules which are pretty good. They also do relay / switch modules too.

https://www.sunricher.com/zigbee-series.html

I also have some Aqara twin relay modules, which generally are OK but have their quirks and possibly not entirely proven safety / reliability.

And @Royski just beat me to mentioning Sonoff ..... their WiFi stuff is ubiquitous now (so seems pretty reliable, not heard any horror stories) and they've just ventured into ZigBee which looks promising.

Oh, there's also a generic ZigBee inline relay that comes up under various manufacturers, quite a few of us are using these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYKK-Zigbee-Controller-Control-AC85-265V/dp/B07PDH45DC

1 Like

You could convert from any switched live ZigBee device (as in that Amazon link) to a dry contact output if you are savvy enough to be able to add a 230V relay with isolated switching contacts.
Just looked and indeed most of the available devices seem to be Z-Wave although I believe Hive use ZigBee.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty positive that is the case. Electrically you can see that the supply feeds HW and CH IMG_20191030_191306|666x500 I plan to put the boiler into always on mode from the wirelsee rf thermostat and just connect switch the live by the HE.
There is a section at the end of this video that explains most of the process and matches my boiler connectors

Please let me know if its misunderstood., :smirk:

I plumped for the generic relay, will let you know how it is.

Looks about right, although probably best to check with Worcester direct rather than taking the word of some random bloke on a forum :slight_smile:

Also did spot this earlier tonight, seems that Salus do a range of ZigBee heating stuff now (I use some of their socket plugs which are pretty good).

Not sure it will work in HE as it depends what ZigBee clusters it supports, but it would be more akin to a normal "boiler receiver" type device if aesthetics are important (perhaps not as you'd mentioned it being in the loft).

I've just taken a gamble and ordered one of these to test. I'll report back if I can get it working with HE. Looks like a neat and professional solution for UK boiler control if it works.

1 Like

Glad you did. If that works out I will grab one too😁

I'm optimistic as it looks like the only Zigbee functionality is a simple switch on or off so I'm hoping a generic switch or relay driver will work.

Switching it from auto to manual and then manual on/off will be done with physical switches in the unit itself presumably.

1 Like

It's great that it has dry contact and switched live. Good price.
Do the salus trv devices work okay.?

I don't have any of those. The only Salus gear I currently have are some SP600 smart outlets. They work well.

1 Like

The Salus RX10RF arrived today so I'm testing it out now.

It is discovered OK by Hubitat and the red LED on the unit stops flashing which the manual says means it has successfully joined the Zigbee Network. But neither the Generic Zigbee outlet nor the Generic Zigbee switch drivers operate the relay sadly. Configure doesn't seem to do anything and the On/Off/Refresh commands do nothing.

I wonder if anyone on the Hubitat team (sorry Bruce! @bravenel) could have a look to see if a driver could be made/adapted for this? I would be a really useful device to have working for those of us in the UK.

I'm happy to do any testing on the device that might be required. As far as I can tell the only Zigbee functionality required is to simply turn on or off the relay in the unit.

This the data for the device:

• endpointId: 07
  • application: 00
  • softwareBuild:
  • inClusters: 0000,0003,FC00
  • outClusters: 0003,0019,FC00
  • model: SAL6DB1
  • manufacturer: Computime

And this is the screenshot from the joining process:

Update. I have just tried the Nue Zigbee Switch driver and that at least sends commands and the device driver page updates it's status to On or Off accordingly, but the relay in the device itself still doesn't respond.

1 Like

I second that.
Would be a great device to use with the rest of their products supported.

Doesn't look promising unfortunately, looks like they must do their control / data in the manufacturer specific Cluster FC00.

If you change the driver to the ZigBee "Device" one and operate the switches on the front, do you get anything in either of the logs (normal log and ZigBee log)?

No, nothing in either. But then I'm not sure I'd expect to. As I understand it the top switch just switches it between auto (where the relay is controlled via Zigbee) and manual (where the relay is turned on and off by the bottom switch). I wouldn't necessarily expect it to send information about the relay state when it is anything other than auto mode.

I've been reading up more about how it works in the Salus system. There are two different modes it can operate in (changed via a sliding switch on the PCB) - RX1 which seems to be able to receive commands from more than one Salus device on their Zigbee network, and RX2 which only works with one paired thermostat. In RX1 mode when pairing with HE it kept appearing as multiple devices and never seemed to complete pairing, but in RX2 mode the LED went solid red to indicate it had paired OK so that's the mode I'm using at the moment.

I'm wondering if rather than on/off commands it's expecting heat/idle or similar if it's designed to get it's commands from a thermostat?

Or do you think that because it is using Cluster FC00 it's a non starter to create a driver for it anyway? I have no idea what any of the clusters mean to be honest.

It's not impossible, just much harder as it doesn't report that it supports any standard ZigBee Clusters other than 0000 (basic) and 0003 (identity) ..... those two don't do much other than give device information.

FC00 is the manufacturer specific Cluster but unless the device spews out something in the logs then there's nothing to work with (even if it did it would be a slim chance that it matched "something" that looked familiar).

Odd really to choose ZigBee as a protocol and then not use any of the standard Clusters .... their sockets (SP600) are the complete opposite i.e. use totally standard stuff.

You could reach out to the manufacturer and see if they'll divulge the protocol details.

Other than that it would be a case of a ZigBee sniffer and hooking it up to the Salus gateway / devices and decoding the communication to see how it works.

Has there been specific drivers made for the salus Trv or do they work with the standard drivers like the plug?

I will try that but I'm guessing if they've chosen to run a non standard protocol so that it only works with their hub they are unlikely to divulge those details to an end user of another hub.

At least I bought it from Amazon so it can just go back if I get nowhere. It is a good repeater though, checking my Zigbee route table I already have 4 devices routing through it. A bit expensive for just a router but maybe I will hold on to it just in case anyone ever cracks the code.

It seems a great shame and a missed opportunity that Salus have done this. It could have been a useful bit of kit for anyone with a Zigbee hub.

Just tagging the driver guru @mike.maxwell about this. I've emailed Salus technical dept about this just in case they are prepared to give out some info on their protocol. But I don't really know what I'm asking them to give me in any detail. What would we need to know in order to come up with a driver?

A device, that's what we would need...