Zigbee Network Offline after trying to add a Hue Plug

I have a C8 running 2.3.6.146.

I’ve been using Hubitat for many years now and feel like I am relatively experienced with the system.

When trying to pair a new Hue Smart Plug tonight using the documented instructions, the majority of my Hue Smart Plugs started to turn off and on in unison.

The device never paired. I tried to roll the system back back to the most recent cloud backup (last night) but I keep getting a restore failure. I am attempting to restore the same firmware level as I am currently on.

The odd thing is, even when I power down my C8, the offending Hue Smart Plugs are still not useable any more. They keep cycling between on and off.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

—- update 1 ——
I rolled back my C8 firmware to a previous backup revision and tried to restore that revision of cloud backup - I continue to get the failed to restore backup error.

—- update 2 —-
I can’t even get the Zigbee radio to do anything but being disabled or offline now.

Why are the hue plugs continuing to flash on and off?! So odd.

Restoring a backup does not roll back firmware.
Are you trying to roll back your database to an earlier version or roll back to a prior firmware? Or… why are you even trying to restore a backup?

Power down the hub, unplug for 30 seconds and reboot.

1 Like

I did both.

I first tried to restore a backup and the restore failed.

I have unplugged many times.

A previous thread said rolling back firmware helped their situation. So I later tried to roll back and restore an older firmware backup. Still failed.

Why am I trying to restore a backup? Well the Zigbee network crashed and won’t go offline after attempting to add that Hue plug. So I figured if I rolled back it might fix the issue.

@support_team - any tips?

My hub is less than 8 months old.

If the Zigbee radio is offline, you can't restore a backup because it doesn't know a Zigbee radio exists, so it fails. Outlets flashing is an odd behavior that I haven't seen before. Also with Zigbee offline the events are not likely to come from the hub. Do you have more than one outlet that's flashing? Usually a device cycling on/off is indicative of a hardware malfunction with the respective device. Is it possible that you had a brief power outage? That could explain the odd events both at hub level and devices.

Last but not least, you can send me the hub ID and we can check your hub's engineering log for some clues to explain the problems.

1 Like

I assume you meant will not come back online. That's indicative of a hardware problem. No restore will help with that using a cloud backup or rolling back the platform.

Blockquote If the Zigbee radio is offline, you can't restore a backup because it doesn't know a Zigbee radio exists, so it fails.

So I only turned the radio off when the hub web UI became unresponsive with the radio enabled. After disabling the Zigbee radio I was able to keep accessing the Hubitat web UI. The restore failed even when I had not disabled the Zigbee radio. That being said, the radio would only show initializing then eventually fail and go offline.

BlockquoteDo you have more than one outlet that's flashing? Usually a device cycling on/off is indicative of a hardware malfunction with the respective device. Is it possible that you had a brief power outage? That could explain the odd events both at hub level and devices.

Most of my zigbee devices went offline and only 6 out of the 30 or stayed online. I don't think there was a power outage at the very instant I tried to pair the plug. The second I tried to pair the hub, 8 smart plugs in my immediate vicinity started to cycle on and off in unison.

BlockquoteDo Last but not least, you can send me the hub ID and we can check your hub's engineering log for some clues to explain the problems.

Thanks!

@bbdj I removed your hub id as that is sensitive information. Could you please PM it @bobbyd ?

1 Like

Ok, so an update, after turning the Zigbee radio back on after it sat over night, it was able to stay online. I quickly restored a cloud backup just to see if it would work and it did. Everything was working as it was yesterday before I tried to pair.

So, I thought it would be a good experiment. I turned on the add device through the Hue Smart Plug option and clicked on start Zigbee pairing. All good, as it started to count down. But the second I plugged in the new Hue plug to pair, all of the previously offending plugs started to flash in unison again and the Zigbee radio went offline.

Can you factory reset the plugs that are flashing? Then try to just pair one at a time. They will drop in the same device ID so you wont lose any automation setups or anything.

The interesting thing is the only plugs that go haywire are all the Hue plugs when I attempt to pair and plug in the new plug to pair. All my other brands don't flash in unison.

are these Hue plugs Matter certified or Zigbee only

looks like they are ZLL & bluetooth if I looked up the correct model

Zigbee is on the hue packaging.

What zigbee devices are you using?

Hue plugs will pretty much kill xiaomi zigbee connections when on hubitat. Ask me how I know. All my plugs now run in my zigbee2mqtt network where they work great.

Sonof S40s, Sinope Thermostats, Hue Motion Sensors

So I got some S31s from Sonoff. They paired perfectly. I'm returning the Hue plug - I don't really want to take the extra time to figure out why they aren't working. Either it's Hue bug or a HE bug.