Zigbee multi sensor recommendations?

Hey, hope this is the right place to post and if not please let me know where would be and I'll try again :wink:

Basically I'm looking for a zigbee connected motion/lux/temp/Humidity sensor all in one. I know there are zwave ones, but I need zigbee and I just can't find anything reliable. There's a Tuya 4-in-1 on AR, but the few reviews it has says its unreliable at best and not at all working at worst.

I could get an Aqara Motion sensor with built in Lux readings, but those only seem to report anything when there is motion, so basically useless for actual automation. There are plenty of temp/Humidity sensors, even a few nice looking USB powered ones but then I'd still need two more per room for occupancy and lux, and I can't even find any lux sensors that don't like like an huge whiteish-gray box to still on the wall...

Help a guy out please :grinning:

I don't know of one. I just recently got two of the Philips Hue Dusk-to-Dawn Outdoor Motion Sensors. They do motion, temperature and lux but not humidity. I'll let you know if I find one.

1 Like

I just got one of their (Philipps) Indoor motion sensor and like the outdoor version, it does motion, illuminance and temperature - no humidity.

I’m curious as to why you need Zigbee? I have a few Inovelli multi-sensors (Z-Wave) and they provide all of these features and work very well (plus, they can be plugged in which is nice!)

An alternative would be to go with a couple of sensors... Any reason why this wouldn’t work in your case?

I guess I don't need zigbee, but seeing as I don't have a lot of z-wave devices already I feel like the z-wave network would possibly not reach everywhere it'd need to.

I'll take a look at the Philips Hue sensors though. I didn't realize these could connect directly to the HE hub.

Yea, they are really good sensors. A bit pricey though.

For Z-Wave, an option to extend hour network would be to purchase some Ring Z-Wave Extenders. I have a couple of them and they work great. I also have a lot of Z-Wave switches that repeat well.

1 Like

I'm a big fan of the Philips Hue motion sensors, paired directly with HE hub. They are 3-in-1, only missing humidity from your list. They report motion VERY fast for light automations which is what I use them for.

1 Like

For some reason I thought the Hue ones acted like the Ikea ones and used group messaging.

TBH, humidity isn't a big deal at all, it's just something I've seen included in pretty much all the zigbee temp sensors I've found so far. I've got humidity on my Netatmo weather station and I've never really paid attention to it, so the Hues sound like they would fit the bill.

I also had a member PM me about a 'DIY' solution that seems really interesting, so suddenly I've got several options. Thanks all :smiley:

1 Like

If this is @iharyadi’s environmental sensor, then several of us have multiple units (i have 4). They are great!

3 Likes

A question for those using the Hue indoor and outdoor multi sensor. I'm trying to figure out what the timing of the Lux reporting is. Both have the setting of On 10 Lux change. I'm finding that the lux updates almost immediately when the motion is triggered and without motion I'm seeing anywhere from a few to as many as 45 to 60 minutes. I've also been testing using a flashlight to increase the Lux and again, sometimes instantly and sometimes not at all.

I was hoping to be able to use the Lux change to trigger a rule but not seeing how this can be reliable with such a wide spread in the Lux update times.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Just a quick look - mine (the outdoor model) appears to be reporting lux every 10 minutes. Motion doesn't seem to be altering that lux reporting interval but a lux change, in excess of what you have set on the device page, will trigger a lux report.

1 Like

FYI, the best price for the Hue motion sensor is a two pack from Costco online. They have both the indoor and outdoor models last time I checked.

4 Likes

Do some searches here in the Community, lots of threads and info on this. I've seen some settings reported that can get it below the default once per 10 mins.

1 Like

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.