Zigbee Motion Sensor Recommendations?

When in doubt turn off anything you dont need. Or at least slow it down to a reasonable setting.

I just looked at the log. With a 10 second reset for motion, in a relatively busy, open, area, there are a lot of reports. I hadn't really noticed that with the GE Enbrighten wall motion detectors with the same 10 second reset. They are in small rooms with relatively less traffic though.

My living room and kitchen motion sensors are high traffic areas for me so I slow those down.

2 Likes

Cute little guy:

1 Like

A hulking monster compared to the Iris V2 sensors. They work amazingly well though. There is a firmware update for them if you have a Hue bridge.

So I've discovered.

1 Like

What I like about the Hues is that they stand by themselves. You can place them here and there, on a shelf, stairs, even if only temporary. I might even put some double-sided tape on the bottom for a few places. I'm sure the magnetic mount on a wall will be nice too.

I found that the entire perimeter of my windows were magnetic (maybe this is the norm and I just am discovering this). So I was able to just place the sensor at the top of the corner window in my living room, so I get maximum coverage and I didn't have to drill any holes!

1 Like

How do the Philips Hue Motion sensors compare to the Samsung Smartthings motion sensors?

I use all Samsung ones at the moment, apart from one Aeotec MultiSensor 6. The latter is nice, but pricey and Zigbee works better for me. So I was going to buy more Samsung ones, waiting for them to come in stock, only just to read Samsung offloaded all their Smartthings hardware to Aeotec, which explains why I've not found any in stock for the last two months.

But I like the fact the Hue's do lux reporting. How long do the AAA batteries last, and can you use rechargeables?

Some of mine are over two years old now and are still at 100%

They drain too slowly for rechargeable batteries.

1 Like

As @lewis.heidrick mentioned, Iris v2 (hard to find) and v3 (a little easier to find sometimes) are fast and reliable. V2 is smaller, v3 does humidity as well as motion and temp.

V2:
2020-12-19 22_18_36-iris motion sensor _ eBay

V3:
2020-12-19 22_18_48-iris motion sensor _ eBay

I've found both Iris versions on eBay in recent weeks, but only a couple show up now and not great prices...I wonder if the NOS and used batches of these are going the way of the Dodo, unfortunately. Great sensors.

The Hue looks similar in size/shape to the SmartThings motion sensor (another good one that is gone). I don't see the indoors Hue available now on Costco so I can't try them out. Not going to pay $40 for one on Amazon... [eek!]

3 Likes

Would be curious to hear anyone’s experience with the Linkind motion sensors. I have to import them here to get a decent price ($40 CAD) which is not really good since they don’t give temp or luminance. But for US buyers, they’re not a bad deal right now for $18.50 USD with a 20% off coupon. IF they are fast and sensitive, they’re a good deal to be clear.

Frankly, I wondered the same...

1 Like

You first! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Receiving a pair of Aqara contact sensors to try out, so I feel like I've done my share for the day. (I know, they alread have a driver and are known to work on HE, so clearly I'm just trying to shirk my duties w/out getting caught.) :wink:

Plus they look kinda big...

Looks about the size of the Samsung. Fine by by me if it’s really sensitive and fast. Price in Canadian dollars is my issue for motion only.

1 Like

I think it's a little bigger height/width, and depth than the Samsung...I have one (Samsung) right in front of me and it does not seem as bulky as the Linkind.

What is sweet (and totally unrelated, apologies) are the Aqara contact sensors. Tiny! Very fast! Paired up w/HE and seem to work great. Have two, may get some more of these, as their size makes them great for spots where you don't want something large. Wish they also had temp, but I can live w/out as I have other contact/temp and motion/temp sensors scattered about.

Is that a problem with the newer rechargeable batteries though, which have low self-discharge even after a year? I thought the problems on some devices were more to do with the lower voltage of rechargeables.

You know, I've been looking at the Aqara motion sensors, and while I don't like the look (reminds me of the old GoControl sensors), they are pretty darn small and if they are as nice as the Aqara contact sensors seem to be, they could be a good option. About $20 on Amazon ($30 for a contact sensor and motion sensor two-pack), and on AliExpress the motion sensor ranges from $13/1 -> $47/4. (AliExpress Standard shipping currently shows arrival early Feb so you can't be in a hurry. :wink: )

Thing is pretty darn small 1"x1"x1.3": (Just the sensor not the silly pedastle mount beneath it.)

They are a little more expensive (relatively speaking), but I have had much better luck with the Xiaomi Mijia motion sensor staying paired directly to HE than the Aqara.

1 Like