Zigbee Mesh

I had tried to stay away from using Zigbee, but now, in order to afford roller shades I am going with the Ikea and it is Zigbee. I want to obviously a strong network, except I don't have any. So yesterday, I took the first Zigbee repeater that comes with the shades and paired in the next room from the Hubitat Hub. I then waited till this morning, and I paired the next repeater that will be in the room with the shades. I had planned to wait till tomorrow to install the first shade. But... I can't tell that the second repeater is talking to the first. I followed a post on here that talked about seeing the zigbee network. So I did. This is what I got:

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [networkId=0, childCount=0, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=FFFF]
Child Data
Neighbor Table Entry
[Shades Repeater Bedroom Zigbee, 4881], LQI:182, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
Route Table Entry

Should that have mentioned the first repeater? It is named Shades Repeater Living Room. What am I missing here? Thanks

Odd that the first repeater isn't showing up as a neighbor of the hub; if it paired successfully, it was in range of the hub at the time and would be showing up as a neighbor (as the 4881 device is).

Of course it's possible that for some reason the first repeater is now only reachable via the 2nd repeater (which would account for it not being in the neighbor table)... but doesn't seem likely.

I'd try resetting/rejoining that first repeater; refresh that getChildandRouteInfo page and see if anything has changed. You don't need to wait very long to see meaningful changes there (you can refresh the page every 15 sec or so and if something has changed in the mesh, the neighbor table will reflect the changes).

1 Like

Thanks Tony, so I removed the first repeater and then reset it, then readded.

Now I see this.... except, I don't know how to read it. Is the bedroom repeater going to the living room and then to the Hubitat hub????

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [networkId=0, childCount=0, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=FFFF]

Child Data

Neighbor Table Entry
[Shades Repeater Bedroom Zigbee, 4881], LQI:193, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Shades Living Room Repeater zigbee, A68F], LQI:178, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Shades Living Room Repeater zigbee, A68F] via [Shades Living Room Repeater zigbee, A68F]

No. They are both directly paired to the Hubitat hub.

1 Like

Should I be concerned?

No

The neighbor table entries are showing you which devices are reachable in a single hop from your Hubitat... So right now you have two repeaters (in reality they are routers and often referred to that way) and both are in range of the hub without going through any intermediate repeaters.

If you had more than 16 repeaters, only the ones with the best signal (and only up to a limit of 16) would be listed there; the order in which they appear in the neighbor table doesn't matter.

The route table entries show you recent paths that have been taken to reach devices... They are transient in that list; they have a short lifetime and get rediscovered if they haven't been referenced recently so there won't always be entries in that listing.

If there are, they will show the first router in the path that is in the route to the destination as the "via". Right now the listing you posted shows the destination and the first router in the path to that destination are one and the same. You'll see this when the hub wants to contact a device which happens to be one of its own neighbor routers.

1 Like

Z-Wave is more obvious since you can see the hops and speed. Zigbee hides that all under the hood but it claim to be self optimizing. It is automated. It thinks there is not need to not do directly for either device. It will be often be faster if directly connected but not always. Unless the speed drops, move on.