Zigbee mesh problem?

It's similar to Z-Wave repair but instead of clicking a Z-Wave repair in the UI. You just leave the hub off for more than 15 mins and Zigbee will do a mesh repair automatically when the hub is back on. It does take time for the heal to complete.

3 Likes

Well that didn't fix my bulb issue. Still not responsive until I click on/off a few time from the device page. RSSI for it is still high at 73 compare to 48 for the left bulb. The are 3 feet from each other.

Temporarily swap the two bulbs to see if the RSSI values stay with the bulbs, or with the locations. Just good data to have.

How close is your nearest repeater device?

They are front porch lights and right outside the front door. I have repeaters about 7 to 8 feet away from them. Good idea about swapping location of them will have to give that a shot later after work.

1 Like

I had to buy a Zigbee switch to act as a repeater for my front porch. I hard a hard time still so I just flicked it on and off 4 times again to re-start the join process again.

It worked great after I rejoined it with the repeater in place.

is the front right bouncing from one outer to another base on the RSSI number?

That's what it looks like; you might be able to tell which router it is by looking for a nearby repeater that also is showing -58 (or -73). Pretty sure that kind of hunting behavior is what causes some battery powered Zigbee devices to have poor battery life while others of the same type do not, but not sure what causes it. Maybe something in the router is flaky and intermittent. Could be why you are seeing the same type of behavior from that bulb. If you could find out which router it is and disable it, it seems likely that the bulb would work just fine joined to the network without it (-73 and -58 are workable signal levels). On the other hand, maybe the radio in the bulb is flaky and responsible for both the -73 and -58 signal strength indications; difficult to say without a real map of your mesh.

Mouser just shipped the didi zigbee stick so hopefully next week I can map the network. But I'll try to add another repeater to the porch above that two lights then re-join the right light to see if it'll get better.

So adding a repeater to the balcony above but also outdoor didn't seem to help.

Buy swapping the bulb location with the left one seems to help..

Anyone know what these messages mean.. This is the period message between the bulb and the HUB.

profileId:0x0, clusterId:0x6, sourceEndpoint:0, destinationEndpoint:0 , groupId:0, lastHopLqi:255, lastHopRssi:-62

Here is the message between the bulb and HUB when I command the bulb to turn ON. Notice the RSSI is higher when commanding the bulb.

profileId:0x104, clusterId:0x6, sourceEndpoint:1, destinationEndpoint:1 , groupId:0, lastHopLqi:255, lastHopRssi:-69

So does the bulb still perform poorly in its swapped location? It might be a flaky bulb. None of those RSSI values seem abnormal at least based on what I see in my network; I had a device that was exceeding - 90 occasionally and I had to relocate it to make it work reliably, but I have other devices in the -80s that work okay.

Since the RSSI values include noise (if it falls in the right frequency band during the right time interval, you could get a strong RSSI value on a noisy link so it's not always an absolute measure of goodness) they are always going to flop around a bit. What would be more concerning would be if the routing kept changing. Not sure it's possible to know exactly what's going on with that at this point.

Lqi is a link quality Index, anything nearing 255 is a strong link (255 is the top of the range). I believe this value is computed by an
end device when it is deciding which router to choose as a parent.

Good stuff @Tony, thanks for adding.

1 Like

Here's another link that helps with understanding zigbee mesh values.
https://support.randomsolutions.nl/827069-Best-dBm-Values-for-Wifi

Good info. Makes me glad I have no competing networks near me; otherwise I'd be looking to troubleshoot those devices I have reading in the -80's.

Finally received the Digi USB stick. mapped my zigbee mesh finally and found 8 unresponsive device (routers) . All 8 are GE OUTLINK OUTLET. To the garbage they go I guess.

It's so nice having the tool to map both zigbee and zwave mesh. Finally figured out which devices problematic.

1 Like

Hear Hear!

It's the only reason why I still have Wink 2 hub around. I have pretty much my whole house full of GE outlink outlets and can't justify trashing them out. No problem on Wink 2 at all.

Are they using some non-standard time out for crap like the Xaomi?

The Digi USB maps both zigbee and zwave? I thought it was zigbee only.

yes zigbee only. I map the zwave with the zwave pc controller software .