Zigbee Mesh / Bulb Question - Do I have repeaters?

Hi all, I'm a recent SmartThings refugee, like most of you. I just got my hub set up and almost everything is working well, except for two Sengled Zigbee bulbs that are in lamps in the bedroom.

They seem to work intermittently. Most of the time they are just fine, but occasionally they just stop responding to any commands. Usually they come back after a power cycle and/or just some time. They were rock solid under ST.

I've read a bunch of posts here about building a good Zigbee mesh and how the Zigbee radio may be worse on HE. So my next step was to see about putting in some repeaters.

I have a few Sengled Zigbee outlets, but I don't know how to tell if they are repeaters.

Can anyone help?

If I don't have any repeaters can anyone recommend one that's current? And/or a different type of bulb that's more reliable? I only have the two zigbee bulbs so I am OK replacing them if I need to.

Thanks!

Here's my /hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo info:

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=7, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[Wife Bed Light, 7D9D, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]
child:[Kid Bed Light, 74D2, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]
child:[Office Door Sensor, 1703, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Christmas Tree Outlet, B783, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]
child:[My Bed Button, 86EA, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[My Bed Light, C311, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]
child:[Pantry Door Sensor, 2F2D, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry

Route Table Entry

What's the model number?
The old square style are not repeaters but the new rectangular (oval?) model is.

download

And no, you have no repeaters/routers in your Neighbor Table Entry/Route Table Entry.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

I do have the older square Sengled Zigbee outlets, which would make sense why I don't have any repeaters.

Hopefully I can resolve this thing with a repeater or two.

1 Like

The newer oval sengled plugs (model NB7) @Ranchitat picturd above repeat, work well and don't break the bank -- they also do power reporting, which is a nice capability.

2 Likes

I would recommend more than 2. In my experience having one repeater for every 4-5 zigbee end devices (i.e. non-repeaters) makes for a very stable zigbee mesh. Building out a good mesh of repeaters now will you add/use end-devices without any issues going forward.

3 Likes