Zigbee issues

Sorry, wasn't clear.. I use and control a lot of plugs making that my favorite Zigbee stress test. At the time I was testing with the plugs a couple years ago I had around a dozen or so Osram bulbs and 2 Osram light strips on my mesh... Their presence was raising havoc on everything, usually in the form of strange device control issues..

Very true. At least Hubitat supports Zigbee group messaging which can be used for on/off/level control. I use it extensively. It would be nice to support Zigbee scenes, but it's not a big deal since I moved all bulb-based lighting to Hue anyhow.

2 Likes

Yes, in a prior life I was a systems programmer and I know all about overruns and bad boundary condition checking. What's hobbling my system isn't speed, as the performance of both Wink, in local mode, which was introduced after much customer demand, and HE are both feel instantaneous, even when each system was able to handle all of my Zigbee devices. I don't see it as a disadvantage to, at least, allow message rate limiting as an option. What is hobbling my system is devices dropping out when the last set of devices to drop out are added back. Please don't get me wrong; I like this platform simply because I have so many decades of programming behind me. But I also want it to work.

1 Like

We most definitely aren't going to do anything of this sort.

1 Like

We? If We is Hubitat, would that be an official statement to the effect that habitat will not support these supposed deficient devices?

What is hobbling your system are older, outdated, and inferior devices that are not acting as standards-compliant repeaters. If you don’t want to accept that advice, as it has been frequently repeated here and in the SmartThings community, that is your choice.

That these devices are poor repeaters is a widely known fact.

Sure Wink made it happen as did Iris... Look at where Iris is now.. Wink isn’t far behind. Hubitat devs should stay focused on architecting for the future, not crippling the platform to support dwindling number of known-to-be-bad devices.

5 Likes

Can you explain why most of my devices were handled properly by HE before my power outage on 10/31? As for Wink and Iris, I can only speak to Wink. They started to fail when their planned revenue stream evaporated, they were sold off twice, and their current owner is incompetent. If Hubitat's planned revenue stream, whatever that might be, fails, they will go the same way. Wink certainly did not fail because they embraced backward and forward comparability while providing equivalent performance to HE's.

Yes, that is how I would interpret that statement, as Mike is a Hubitat employee/owner/stakeholder/whatever.

Not saying that you have to like the answer, but I would take it as 'the answer'. There are many things Hubitat chooses not to chase/go after based on their long work list and limited resources. Chasing non-standard devices is often one of those things that there simply is not time or resource for versus other more value added development work.

Could be luck of how the devices were routing before? Unfortunately you can't force the routing table manually - although you can sometimes trick it. I have seen this work before (at least temporarily):
powering down the hub, powering down nasty semi-routing bulbs, wait 30 minutes (this sends the other still powered on zigbee devices into a panic and makes them look for other available routers), power up hub, then after everything else is done power up the bulbs.

2 Likes

But I really want to insert my 3 1/2'' floppy disk into my laptop!

6 Likes

Damn hipster. When are they going to start making laptops with 5 1/4" SS drives again? If it don't fit in 180K, it's no use to me :joy:

5 Likes

Was that around when you added the ecobee Smart plugs as repeaters?

Don't judge... I still have a couple 3 1/2 drives in my PC parts box.. Just in case...

3 Likes

Just for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXEWOAA [grin]

I aught to have one as there is shelves of 1.44mb disks here. But how do I read my 2.88 MB disks?

I thought I was the only dinosaur on here.
:joy:

2 Likes

You don't know me. Why would you resort to insults in defense of your favorite platform, as if it were a cult? The fact is that we're talking about five years, here, not decades and, no, I no longer use floppy discs though my career began in the punched card era. I'm not a Luddite; are you?

Why insult me? Why assume I'm a Luddite? Why assume that just because I began my HA efforts near the beginning of the field that I am somehow deficient?

No. I added the Ecobee Smart plugs as repeaters, after buying and installing some brand, new and very effective repeaters, when I did actual experiments and discovered that they function well in this regard. The problem started after a power failure Halloween night. As I have said, and often, before that point, HE handled all but a couple of my devices, all at once, with the same virtually instantaneous response I received from my Wink Hub 2, which also supports local control. The reason I started installing smart plugs as repeaters was the advice of people on this thread. There was no trigger other than the power failure and, following the failure, all but one device continued to work properly but, only a limited number of them at one time.

Do you not ask yourself after 118 posts on this thread why there is only one person claiming what you are claiming. All-while after being diagnosed what your issue is (for free btw) and given recommendations on how to resolve the problem (again for free) you continue with excuses of why you shouldn't do what it being recommended so that your experience is the same as all other people on this platform?

1 Like

Just a reminder, this is a public forum, please treat everyone with respect and remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, offer reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

https://community.hubitat.com/faq

6 Likes

What are you talking about? I have been following your advice and the advice of others. I'm told that the HE C-5 has a less effective antenna than the Wink Hub 2, and that I need repeaters, so I buy repeaters. I'm told that Link lamps and a bunch of others, so I buy a ton of Sengled and Sylvania lamps and replace a load of them. Only a cult requires lock-step thinking, however, and I have found many anomalies, following my own experiments, with some of the conventional wisdom and rules-of-thumb presented. I have already spent a fortune following advice on this thread. Attack the problem, not me.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused. It is not the experience we want people to have, and most people don't go through what you have documented on this thread. I wanted to make sure that you have received our response yesterday and if you have any further questions for support. I've also sent you a private message, so please check out the notification in the upper right corner, if the community is your preferred way of communication rather than emailing back.

3 Likes