Zigbee Gremlins? FWIW

I am not asking for support and this probably is not a Hubitat issue but wanted to post this in case someone else had a similar experience.

Setup;
Hub has been installed about 8 months.
52 Zigbee Devices
22 ZWave Devices
All smart bulbs are Sengled. Got rid of all the repeating bulbs such as GE-link and Sylvania months ago.

There have been no significant problems in all this time.

#1 - Today shorty after 4AM a Centralite zigbee appliance module turned on by itself. Hubitat properly logged that it turned on but there was no command issued to do so.

#2 - A First generation SmartThings motion sensor stopped working. Batteries good. Had to factory reset to get it to join back to the hub.

#3 - Four out of eight Sengled stopped working. Three bulbs came back online just by turning them off and on again. One Bulb had to be factory reset and joined to the hub again.

I have seen this kind of wonkiness with ZWave such as switches turning on/off with no command issued but this is the first time I have ever experienced a Zigbee switch turn on by itself.

Again this post is more about documenting the event and if anyone else has had this happen and want to comment feel free to do so.

How "hot" is your HE?

3 Likes

That sounds awfully personal :rofl:

6 Likes

I didn't even realize how ridiculous that sounded until you pointed it out! :joy:

4 Likes

Hub temperature is cool to the touch. I've never had a "hot" hub. LOL

Did something change in the WiFi signals, either yours or your neighbors' routers that could now be causing a conflict between WiFi and your Zigbee mesh? Since WiFi's 2.4 GHz band is shared with Zigbee's mesh frequencies, there can be overlap and conflict depending on what channels each is operating on, respectively. I have my primary WiFi channel set to 1 and my new router chose 6 as a secondary channel. My two HEs are operating on Zigbee channels 20 and 25. I don't have a way to analyze the other WiFi signals in the neighborhood to see where they are operating. My Zigbee mesh is stable, so there must not be any conflict here.

1 Like

Good point. I did use a WiFi scanner on my Mac to gauge 2.4 GHz WiFi channel use and strength before setting up my Hubitats. My neighborhood is heavily saturated on channel 1 and 6. So I put my HEs on zigbee channels 20 and 23.

1 Like

No changes to my WiFi network. I would have no idea about what my neighbors do with their WiFi but seeing the the outlet turned on at around 4AM it is doubtful most people are messing with their routers at that time. I am pretty sure it was caused by some type of radio interference. I've seen the same happen with ZWave but not for several years ago when I was on SmartThings.

Edit: WiFi in my area is not very dense at most there are five and they are pretty weak signals.

My guess is that one of your devices went rogue. Someone on here yesterday determined that their zigbee issues were being caused by a Bosch motion sensor with a low battery. Here is the link

1 Like

What is your ratio of end-devices to repeaters?

Here is a screen shot of getChildAndRouteInfo.

How many end devices vs repeaters are in your network. I can't tell that from the table. This is not a complete look at your whole network.

Not clear as to how to answer that question other than I have 52 zigbee devices of which 5 are capable of repeating. All repeating devices are SmartThings / Centralite cube outlets and located within 20 foot of the hub. The setup I have as been the same for over 5 months. When I had the repeating zigbee bulbs this kind of thing would happen more frequently (with the exception of outlets turning on without any command) but this is first time anything went screwy since replacing all the bulbs with Singled.

So 47 end devices, 5 repeaters ...

I've heard that a good target ratio is around 6-7 end devices per repeater.

For comparison, here is my table:

I have no child devices because the only thing that connects directly to the hub are repeaters. This gives the maximum amount of reach for the mesh. You might benefit from a forces Zigbee heal. Shutdown the hub for 30 minutes and then let all your devices come back up and see where they land after a couple days. I think you'll see a dramatic change in the router table.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.