Zigbee firmware update feedback

@Hubitat_Staff noticed there now is a pop up warning when you try to do a firmware update on a device. I understand the reasoning but as you host the firmware it's hard to say your not responsible when the customer doesn't know what's being sent.

A feedback suggestion would be that there should be some better feedback for the customer to see and then decide if they want to start the update. It should also have a option to stop it aswell.

So I'm thinking you press the button and in the logs it tells you if there is a update/ what the file name is. Or that pop up tells you what firmware it's found and asked if you want to continue. To which HE are not responsible. Then there should be a further UI to then say yes please upload that one. With a option to stop it.

Currently you press it, it gives you a pop up warning and you say okay then you watch the logs to find out what it's sending and if it's doesn't look right you have to scramble around trying to stop it.

I had two Lidl silvercrest devices get bricked because the files were wrong somewhere, not Hubitats fault. That's why there is now a warning but last night I tried to check on a new joined device (zigbee blind controller which had joined as a device) and oddly that started a firmware update on a completely different device which is a Click Smart+ FCU.
The updated stared and the file didn't mention Click so I shut down the hub quickly! Zigbee updates are fast so you have to be quick.

2 Likes

The file name isn't going to mean anything to the end user...

This isn't an issue with the file being incorrect per se, its an issue of the device (specifically Tuya white labeled products) requesting a specific firmware file that is not apparently the firmware file for the device, as evidenced by it being bricked.

We had one Tuya firmware file, and it's been removed as of about a month ago.

So in the end I don't see how presenting a file name such as 109A-0013-03000800 is going to help the user make any meaningful decisions...

2 Likes

is that how they are labeled? I was hoping they were like others i have seen stating the manufacturer and maybe a model number or something. Something that could be googled to check its the same thing for example.

Yes but whos to say it won't happen with other devices. My main point there should be a easy way to stop it, at least now with the popup a accidental start shouldn't happen.

Simply put, I don't find Tuya to be a responsible device manufacturer.

I can't say it can't happen again, but we've been doing updates for years and none of the other supported manufacturers have this issue.

I don't understand what stopping it is going to do, there's no way to let someone know in advance that something untoward is going to happen until its far too late...

Yes this is how they are labeled, this is a suggestion from the zigbee spec, not something we made up.
The first two bytes are the device manufacturer, the second two bytes are the device type (not a model number), the remainder is the firmware version.

This is the exact info the device reports when we ask it for the firmware file it wants, so this isn't some faulty mapping on our end. Thats the reason we implemented it that way, we don't need to keep a lookup table around mapping this to that.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.