Zigbee devices unreliable after C7 to C8 migration

Logs, event statistic etc.

Because new radio/new old mesh, things change etc. Part of diagnostics is the process of elimination. Pick it up, look at it, see if all facets work according to spec, put down. Rinse and repeat till you find the an issue. Solve issue, check, rinse and repeat. Check logs, turn power reporting off, and wait. Does it stop crashing? Yes? You found the issue. No? Look to lan devices. Disable lan devices and integrations including maker api. Does the issues stop? Yes: You found the issue, re enable lan integrations one at a time and watch. No? Move in another direction etc etc...

1 Like

I appreciate the process that you go through to troubleshoot, very common sense approach for sure. If I left a message here every time I went through one of the cycles you've described above, there would be hundreds of posts. I'm doing those things between each request for help, but trying to eliminate as much as possible before the last resort of posting a question here. I've removed all lan integrations, drivers, removed a bunch of automations etc. basically turned Hubitat into something less useful than Smartthings - hasn't helped so far. "Turn power reporting off" I'm searching for devices that have the option to Turn power on/off reporting and have found none so far, the closest reference would be a "Attribute reporting interval" on the Sengled bulbs. how about an export of all of the device data with all of their device settings in an excel? is that possible?

There at the top of the Logs page are those two 'stats' tabs. Device stats and Apps stats and set the options to be similar to that example. Note this in my example: Devices: 5h 58m 18s / 35d 1h 26m 57s total (0.7%) Point 7% of the total time the hub's been up has been consumed by driver computing. Apps has the same thing: Local apps: 2h 39m 0s / 35d 1h 26m 35s total (0.3%) and for that particular hub of mine, only Point 3% of the Hub's CPU has been consumed. In my case I conclude, my biggest fear should be ice forming on the hub from lack of use? :smiley:

If those numbers are high, then the column % of Total will help you find which device or which app should be top of the list for disabling.

Have you done a Soft Reset yet? None of your symptoms sound like a DB corruption but saving a bakckup now ,then soft reset, restore backup, would clean the DB thoroughly and is as close to harmless as possible. There have been times when I've been doing soft resets 20 times a week. (I retain backups of a hub in a specific config, then I can restore back to what I need to be testing at that moment.)

2 Likes

Here are both devices and apps, nothing here looks suspect to me, pretty low utilization right?
Devices

Apps

enable all the check marks at the top then sort by total ms top largest to bottom little.

This tells me everything I need to know... or can be extracted, for this topic. The 0.4% and 1.3% alone tell me that there's nothing excessive to be found here.

Thanks.

next step?

Devices

Apps

How often is all your power reporting going off?

looks like it updated every 5 minutes. I removed a few of the zigbee bulbs that are most problematic, and their associated sensors (which have been stable and don't repeat) about 12 devices total. Mostly exterior and near the garage. I've removed all automations associated, the energy meter, and its associated alerts. I'm removing devices from the edge and working my way back to hub. I've found a device in the map that is "unknown" and I see its a repeater. How can I track that down or remove it? it doesn't appear in the device list.

So I did a soft reset, restored, remove 7 sengled bulbs (which worked great under C7) and then rebuilt the network. Then unplugged it for 30 minutes, then added back 3 devices, no problem. Tried to add one of the Singled bulbs and it won't get past initializing during add a device. Rebooted the hub, tried the next adjacent bulb, it went slow on initializing but was added. Factory reset the bulb even though it removed cleanly (at least it appeared to). stuck in the initializing stage now trying to add anything else.

well after trying to clean out devices, remove automations etc, now I can't add devices back to the network, they just get stuck initializing.

Shut down, unplug power to the hub, wait a minute or 2 and bring back up. Then try the Pair while trying to avoid zigbee 3.0 repeaters option. (oh and use generic pairing for everything)

Tried that yesterday, worked for one device, but repeating the process is not working. Any answer to the question about removing an "unknown" repeater ?

Doesn't appear in the device list.

Tried that yesterday, worked for one device, but repeating the process is not working. Any answer to the question about removing an "unknown" repeater ?

1 Like

Look at the hex and see if it matches your hub mac or the mac's of any of your mains based devices.

Yep, checked that, doesn't show up as a device. If it shows up in the map it's alive not just a remnant in a corrupt database right?

Yep, checked that, doesn't show up as a device. If it shows up in the map it's alive not just a remnant in a corrupt database right?

Over the last few weeks the network has become more and more unstable. I'm no longer able get some key devices to stay online and anything I removed to "simplify" my network will not allow me to add them back to the network. They get stuck in initializing. I've tried soft resets and restores, adding in the clear, avoiding repeaters etc. My question today is Reset Zigbee Radio, if I do that I understand I'll have to add all 90+ devices back to the network. But will I need to remove them first? what other considerations are there?

If you reset the zigbee radio, you will have to factory reset and re pair each device. If you go that route, please read this

https://docs2.hubitat.com/how-to/build-a-solid-zigbee-mesh