Zigbee Devices Not Responding After Migration

C-8 Pro on 2.3.8.139
After following the instructions on migrating to the C-8 Pro none of my Zigbee devices are working. I've attempted to reboot the radio, rebuild the network. The Hub can "see" the devices - they are being pinged and if I manually turn them off and on, the app recognizes it. If I attempted to use either the web UI or the app, the devices don't respond. I've used the info in the forums here - waited 24+ hours, changed the channels and power level (From 15 to 25, waited 24 hours), and

Not sure what else I can do except disconnect and reconnect all my devices. Any other ideas before I do down that route?

Assuming that you have unplugged the old hub, and not reset it, you should be able to switch back to it (except for the channel change may make it more difficult) and take another migration backup. Have you tried shutting down and unplugging the C-8 for a minute and then powering it back up. This sometimes helps with radio issues because it’s the only way to really turn off and on the radio. The same goes for the old hub. If it’s still plugged in, the radio is on. Disabling the radio doesn’t turn it off, it just disconnects it from the Zigbee stack.

Also besides the shut down and removing power for 30 seconds, try swapping the antennas, that would rule out a defective antenna.

You can also try to reset and re-pair one mains powered device as a test. Usually you just hold the button down for 10+ to reset most devices. When you pair it again it will drop back into place on the hub so no harm is done.

What did you set the power to? Level 8 is equivalent of what the C7 was running at. I would try 8-12 and no higher.

1 Like

I had a similar experience and mine eventually worked on the 4th migration. Ive seen a few others post similar stories. Sorry i cant provide anything more definitive.

2 Likes

Did you take a new backup each time or just keep using the same one?

A new backup. Repeated the whole process from scratch.

1 Like

Well, I appreciate the suggestions. I swapped the antennas and no difference. I've tried the unplug it method a few times.
I plugged the old hub in again and redid the migration, and then I tried the reload and it didn't work, so I'm going to give it 24 hours and check again. I'll give that a go a few times and see where we are at.

1 Like

What hub are you migrating from and what country/region are you in?

1 Like

@bobbyD offered to take a look at mine when the migration was failing but it turned that was the time it finally worked for me. I’m sure he would like to get to the bottom of this issue so maybe coordinate your next migration with him so he can review the engineering logs.

2 Likes

I went from the C-7 to the C-8 Pro, located in the US,
So, check this out - I get home from work and fire up the app, hit the button and bingo! Light comes on! I try each one and boom! We're in business! So I go to turn them off - and nothing. App shows the little hour glass and nothing else. I tried each light/switch/etc and nothing. I restarted the app and the tried again - nothing. I manually went around (Like in the olden days ) and turned off everything manual and reloaded the app - wait, the app recognized they were off now! I turned a switch on manually and the app goes, YES! IT'S ON! I CAN SEE IT! So I try to turn it off via the app and - nothing. I try to turn a different switch on with the app and - nothing.

At this point I feel like Clark Griswold from Christmas Vacation.

2 Likes

Use the Web UI for testing, not the mobile app. The app just adds another layer to it so we dont know if its the app having the issue or somewhere else.

Also turn on debug logging and keep a logs tab open.

1 Like

I tried using the web UI and still nothing. It would randomly work once, then stop working. It reports that the lights are on or off, but fails to control them. I tried redo the migration a number of times and that didn't work either.

I disconnected two of the switches completely and tried to repair them, but the new hub never saw them. So, went back to the old C-7 and it all worked again. I reconnected the two I had disconnected supes easy and bada bing bada boom, we're back up like it was 2023.

I guess it's possible I get a bad C-8 Pro? It'll go back to where it came from with a refund hopefully....

Yes, possibly zigbee controller was defective on that one.

The C8 also has a new controller that is Zigbee 3.0. Some devices do not play nice with it, like Aquara and some Tuya devices (I think).

Not sure how the state would change when the device did not react. That would be poor driver coding that is pre-emptively changing the state without hearing back from the device.