Zigbee device that help tell if outlet power is off

My sump pump GFCI tripped which disables my sump pump.
I'm looking for a zigbee/zwave device that would help me recognize when this happens
I could take any device and use a power brick that would plug in to the outlet and run that to the battery terminals and then have a driver detect when the device stops reporting in ...
but wondering if there is a simpler solution ?
thx

ring extender:
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Range-Extender/dp/B07ZB2VP4K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=FP5LT3CHUK5&keywords=ring+extender&qid=1683646544&sprefix=ring+extender%2Caps%2C304&sr=8-3
it reports battery/mains in Hubitat

3 Likes

FYI, unless there has been an update it will not refresh automatically between battery and mains on a C5 hub, only on a C7 or C8.

1 Like

One approach is to make a device like the one linked below (and there are many examples of such devices on the Hubitat community).

I have two of these that have worked well for ~3+ years.

With this kind of device, the contact will appear "closed" when there is power, and "open" when there is no power.

I haven't had to change the batteries since I built them.

TheSmartestHouse.com also sells a Power Outage Detection Kit, that they are currently out of, but it works on a similar principle.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/z-wave-kits/products/diy-smart-power-outage-monitoring-kit

3 Likes

Sure this is still true? I’m not seeing this on Denny Page’s (@dennypage’s) driver, but I did see it on the built-in driver.

a thought came to mind..what about a zigbee or zwave outlet and periodically check if it did not report in ?

No I am not. Just know that when I bought mine that was the case. That was maybe a year ago, so it could have changed. Just thought I would mention it.

Not zigbee or smart, but we have something very similar to this at my dads house sump pump. It's just a simple buzzer device that whistles when there's no AC power.

https://www.amazon.com/Lelukee-Failure-Automatic-Resistant-Included/dp/B08Y72DKXR

2 Likes

The check-in period is of insufficient frequency for this approach to be useful for use as a trigger in a power-loss automation.

1 Like

So with my samsung plug ...it talks every few mins....so I think that would suffice....the thing is my 2 samsung plugs are in use for washer and dryer....so i need to check if the Tuya ones talk as much

1 Like

My ring Z-Wave extenders report the change immediately, so I suspect that this has been resolved now.

I use this functionality to turn on backup power on some of my plugs.

1 Like

My Ring Z-wave extender also works very well for sending power-off Pushover notifications... It is its only function, with the greatly improved Z-wave radio on the C-8 hub all my other Z-wave devices communicate directly to the C-8 hub!

4 Likes

+1 for Ring extender..

2 Likes

Along these same lines as this audible device:

• small relay on 12vDC wall wart powered by your AC
  • wire from relay terminals to a Zigbee contact switch hacked (or with auxiliary terminals)

Power goes off,
wall wart goes off,
relay goes into unpowered state
and triggers the Zigbee contact (on battery)