Zigbee device not working on new C8

Got my hands on Third reality motion sensor. I was able to reproduce the issue, and the next build will have a fix.

6 Likes

ya try sylvania gardenspots.. same issue.. stuck on initialization..

also would not pair a kwikset 914 in place.. again i had to remove the device totally and then pair it closer to the hub.. it seems to be that zigbee devices will NOT intialize with the hub through any repeater at least that is what i am seeing.

Will the fix only be for this one Zigbee device or all different devices that canā€™t pair with C8 hubs?

2 Likes

The issue is generic and will likely apply to many devices.

6 Likes

Spent all of Sunday pairing un-pairing and then swapping devices between hubs meticulously documenting all the tests, including versions, timings and makes/models of the various devices and the outcomes. Capturing logs and information to hopefully assist in the eradication of this most pesky bug. .
So what happens?
This morning I notice an update and applied to the most troublesome c8 hub.

Donā€™t want to jinx it butā€¦.
Flawless.
Have just had an hour with some of the crappy Sonoff sockets that have been causing all the issues and the push buttons and just worked.. over and over again.

As I say hope I donā€™t jinx it but weā€™ll done and thank you to @mike.maxwell and the team of Hubitat Hibitechā€™s
:+1:

5 Likes

As long as you only type things like that here, and don't say them out loud, I think any jinxing will be minimized, and we'll be okay. :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

Glad to hear you're having some good news.

2 Likes

Can confirm that after applying firmware 2.3.5.124, I can now pair my new Moes Zigbee switch to C8 Hub and so far working fine. Pairing was also fast, within a few seconds.

7 Likes

ver 2.3.5.124 - my Aqara P1 finally works!

1 Like

@mike.maxwell - Maybe it's time you (and @gopher.ny too!) can have a beer out of petty cash. :wink:

1 Like

Just an update. I am finding that as long as ZigBee devices are direct connected to C8 they work but as soon as they are connected via a repeater not so great and most of the time it will pair but then you cant control them.

I am going to put C8 hub in storage and roll back to C7 hub. Will return back to C8 in 6 months time hoping by then all these issues have been fixed, as have already spent too much time troubleshooting issues on C8 that dont exist in C7 hub

4 Likes

What repeaters are you using?

I have 2 Philips Hue power plugs

1 Like

Those are the only mains-powered Zigbee devices in your home? Just wanted to be sure I'm understanding correctly...

And you verified that the devices you're loosing control of were repeating through the Hue plugs by looking at the Route Table Entry on the ZIgbee endpoint?

http://put.Hub.IP.here/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

90% of my devices are mains powered. I only have 4 zigbee motion sensor Aeotec brand and then
the rest of my gear is Moes Light switches.

I only assumed that they were connecting to repeater because of range and with my C7 hub I needed to have the Hue repeater online in order for device that far to work.

whenever I go to route table it doesnt show all my devices.

I have just rolled everything back to my C7 hub and all working as per normal again. (Had to remove from C8 hub and pair with C7 hub one at a time) Process of moving back was a lot faster and smoother.

When I tried the migration process none of my zigbee devices would work at all on the C8 and thats why I thought of trying to setup C8 from scratch and move devices one by one which didnt quite work out either as mentioned already.

1 Like

Humm itā€™s all a bit strange.
After having many Zigbee pairing issues similar to others on a pair of c8ā€™ and even on my c7ā€™s after firmware upgrades. I upgraded to .125 two weeks ago.
Ran all my tests again and all appeared fine.
Soooo on one c8 I reset all radios. Cleared any files out, deleted all backups and did a soft reset. Nice and clean.

I then started removing devices from old hub (well not that old) to one of the new c8ā€™s.
I followed every best practice as best as I could to build both Zigbee and Zwave networks.
I even was very patient and after adding a number of devices I left it for a day to settle before adding more nodes.
For two weeks now it has been rock solid. I have more diverse pieces of kit on-net than before and I have retired some old Zwave stuff that I realise just didnā€™t perform or appeared to slow things down.
What I have learnt is patienceā€¦ if I did see an issue or slow down I just left it to sort itself out and it did.
The down side (not really) is that nearly all my zwave devices have direct routes back to the hub so my grand plan of a multi-hub technical utopia has been blown to the weeds as one is doing the job. :+1:
Iā€™m using the same HW and Firmware, so with the opposite lens on itā€¦ why is my setup stable and working.
I hope all my Hubitat buddies sort their issues as well.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Well my C7 is now no longer reliable either.
Before C8 came out my whole system worked without any issues. Decided to replace with C8 to try and extend my range without needing repeaters, big mistake. Since then I have put C8 back in itā€™s box and using my C7 but things havenā€™t gone back to normal.

C7 has latest firmware and Z wave device work all the time without issues but Zigbee device that used to work great before are now hit and miss. Also automationā€™s that have Zigbee devices at time work other times donā€™t.

When I have a weekend to spare might try starting from scratch but as it stands have wasted too many hours days on issues that should not have happened on a working C7 hub just because of firmware changes for C8 hubs.

2 Likes

You could try putting your Zigbee devices in panic mode so that they will rebuild neighbor tables - could help get things re-sorted out.

Shut down and unplug your hub, let it sit for 20m (that will kick the Zigbee devices into panic mode. Then plug in and let the hub boot up. Give it a few days to see if it re-settles into more reliable results.

I agree 200%

I was foolish and migrated my near perfect C7 setup to a C8 and my zigbee network crashed and burned almost immediately.

Since there is no way to easily migrate back, I manually reset/repaired 140 zigbee devices back to my C7 and tied the C7 (zigbee devices) and C8 (zwave devices and apps) together using hub mesh

Overall it works pretty well, significantly better than the C8 alone but I am still no where near the performance I had on my C7. I never had any issues at all on my C7, everything just worked. If I was to guess, now about 10% of the time I have a random zigbee device not properly respond to a command or automation.

That doesnā€™t sound too bad but when my wife and kids say ā€œSmartthings worked betterā€ itā€™s like getting punched in the gut!! Lol

For the record I disagree with them, but we have a ways to go to get things back up to par. I suspect that the numerous updates meant to stabilize the C8 have somehow destabilized the C7

2 Likes

Ok so tired this and no difference yet. Will leave it overnight and check back.

Yep why cant they keep C8 and C7 software separate so that one doesnt affect the other.
If this keeps up I may have to move away from Hubitat :frowning: