Zigbee device (Halo+) falling off network

For whatever reason, things route how they want. You might not need that repeater IN the garage, but might need it somewhere close where the garage devices say "hey look. A better route". I've had devices bounce to the other side of my house and then to my hub. No rhyme or reason. But, see how things calm down and place that repeater in a different place later. But, don't forget to let things self heal for a few hours before checking if it worked.

2 Likes

Zigbee RF links are usually asymmetrical with respect to RF link quality-- the hub may be able to hear transmissions from neighbor X better than neighbor X can hear transmissions from the hub. The LQI figure indicates how well the hub is hearing a given neighbor node (and relates to the 'inCost' number shown in the table entry). But the LQI doesn't represent how well that neighbor node can hear the hub-- that information is conveyed by the 'outCost' number displayed in the table. It's supplied by the neighbor during the periodic link status exchanges and is based on the neighbor node's assessment of the link quality.

Some of the seemingly oddball routing that happens is due to this asymmetry and the need to choose routes that are viable in both directions. For the hub to choose the best repeater, it will not necessarily choose the one with the highest LQI/lowest inCost, since the link to that repeater may have a high outCost (meaning it can't hear the hub as well as another repeater with a lower, but still viable, LQI can).

5 Likes

@neonturbo Looking better? :wink: Thanks!

Neighbor Table Entry
[Kitchen - Exhaust - ZigBee Outlet, 6FBB], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Upstairs - Master Bedroom - Zigbee Repeater Outlet, 9C94], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Garage - Dimming Outlet, 9D88], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[1 Basement Zigbee Outlet , A007], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Office - Kennel - Zigbee Outlet, A17B], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Alarm - Main Floor, C673], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Alarms - Upstairs Hallway Alarm, D7D4], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1

1 Like

To my amateur eyes, much better. Working good now?

The Zigbee side of things is solid. Was able to reach a package box at the end of the driveway. Added a button and motion sensor to let us know if we have packages waiting (button for us to acknowledge we picked them up).

Now back to the Z-Wave side. I can reliably get the motion sensor/button to work at 100 feet, but not my F!@$%&* lock at 15 feet! :rage: (yes I have lots of repeaters)

I know this thread is old but FYI, a good deal of this route jumping is the fault of the hub and it's firmware, as discovered by Markus. Some key zigbee changes in next release (2.2.3¿)
Maybe we'll even be able to "bust a nut" a peanut that is. My nuts always had a crazy strong signal and would route many devices.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.