Zigbee control for step motor

the issue is; I found a cheap card and ordered it. This one:

it has esp8266 and it is known as a UNO+Wifi Rev3 Clone.
So this is not actually a UNO.
I don't know how much ram it has but has 8MB flash.

I just received it and wrote my webserver code on it. Works fine.
Tomorrow I will receive the stepper motor and the A4988.
Hopefully I will connect them according to the diagram and my http endpoint will receive commands then turn the motor.

I hope it will be enough for this project.

2 Likes

@uikeraktuna
I think you would be better off joining the Arduino forum. Those folks have been driving stepper motors forever.

I don’t know what for is this loop.
MSx pins are for controlling Step Size. Motor runs quiter with smaller steps.
However for the same speed pulse rate must be higher. And for the same
distances you will need more steps.
I would recommend to use IO pins for setting up step size.
This way it will be controlled by sw.

And you are missing main power correction to the Arduino board.

1 Like

I received the parts today and connected them but I have a problem.
even with no program on the board , motor starts to turn continuously.

I then disconnected the step and direction pins from the A4988.
the motor still turns when the power is supplied.

Then I realized something:

I am powering the Arduino board through DC in with 12V
the 5.0V output does not read 5, it displays 10V
is this normal ?
If I power the unit through USB, then 5.0V output shows something like 4.97V

The 3.3V output shows around 3.2V always (does not change if the input is on DC or USB)

So , if the 5.0V is producing 10V when powered with 12V , then the 10V might have damaged the A4988 because it works with 3-5V
Am I correct ?

Yes, if this a case.
Anyway If A4988 got a 10V on the 5V power rail I will not trust this part anymore even if it may pretend working.

ok. but do you know why UNO+Wifi board provides 10V on 5.0V output ? (when it is powered with 12V)

I have never used Uno Boards. May favorite is ESP32 (use to be ESP8266.

ok. I understand you but UNO+Wifi R3 is actually an Esp8266 board.
When I check the nodemcu-esp8266 board , I see that it is very small compared to the Uno+wifi and I am not sure if provides all the output for this setup.
Besides, it only has USB power input. Which means then I will have to use 2 seperate power supply (one for the motor (12V) and one for the board (5V))

am I wrong ?

ESP8266 is a CPU.
Uno is a Board which has ESP8266 as a Part plus whatever else including on-board voltage regulator. ESP8266 and ESP32 have more than enough IOs for yours application.
Yes, in case for ESP8266/ESP32 you will need 12-to-5V downconverter.
Please make sure it is switched (not linear) downconverter.

You most likely wired it to the wrong pins. The 5V out pin is the same as the supply for the atmega so if that were 10V it would have fried your uno too.

how can I wire to a wrong pin ? There is only one pin marked 5.0V and I used it.
Besides, is there a pin that would provide 10V ?

see above, I used these 2 pins which I marked 10V

I just measured again with both power supplies. The output is like this:

If I want to change to a board as you advised, would one of these be OK ? Which one ?

esp32:

esp32 with antenna connection:

esp8266:

I see that only one of them has an antenna connection. And it is the most expensive one.

looks correct but the 5V pin comes out of the same regulator as for the board itself so there might be a short somewhere. I'm surprised the board itself is ok unless there is a protection diode somewhere.

That UNO-WiFi board appears to only be rated to handle 6-9VDC on its barrel power supply input connector. Applying 12VDC probably fried the 5VDC regulator chip.

You are correct. This is the photo from my board:

but the specs says " * Power jack, 7-12V power input."
here:

So I never checked on the board. Well, I'm not sure if it would matter (have I looked) because as you see in the photo above mine doesn't even say 6-9 (says 6-0)
I guess it is a bad clone.

So now which board from above, should I use ?

for example from this board:

I don't see the 5.0V out pin to the A4988.

for example from this board:

I don't see the 5.0V out pin to the A4988. How can I provide power to the A4988 from this board ?

If this exact board is what the OP has then the AMS1117 in the picture can handle 12V. It's more likely OP got a faulty board which looks like a non original uno wifi.

this project it realized:

2 Likes

Great work, @ilkeraktuna !

:clap: