Zigbee contact sensor recommendations for C8

That’s definitely the kind of frequency I’m looking for. The xfinity sensors were about $4 each, a Hue motion sensor is 10x that, unfortunately I can’t load up on the Hues.

Back to square one. Any other suggestions for a sensor with frequent temp reporting that’s not going to break the bank?

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Iris v1 was perfect for this. Stupid cheap and always reliable. They spoiled me perhaps .

1 Like

They haven't given much detail on why they can't get them to work. I know they will work once paired, as I have several V1 devices that migrated over from a C5 to a C8 and are working. Apparently if they ever get disconnected for whatever reason I am going to have to replace them

When I first got into home automation I bought several Visonic door sensors mainly because they were small and cheap. However, I've found that the small coin battery didn't last very long (especially for the sensors that were located far from my hub) and I was changing out batteries every 1-2 months. So I decided to use two AAA batteries to power the sensor instead of the small coin battery. Below is a simple 3D printed case that I made for the sensor,

I could probably have made this case even smaller (since I remove the outer housing from the contact sensor). I fastened the sensor to the case using a few dabs of hot glue. With the AAA batteries my sensors now last over a year before I change them out. They actually still have enough battery life but I want to replace them before they start to corrode.

1 Like

I like your thinking.

For door, I'm strongly considering: Recessed Door Sensor 7 – Aeotec it could be completely hidden, by doing holes into doors itself and door frame.

For windows, so far I do not have clear idea, maybe updated (3.0) aquara sensors (only them are small enough for me), maybe totally invisible nice "strip type" z-wave sensor: Strips Guard 700 - Sensative

Both z-wave device have big disadvantage: price tag.

If you still have your C5 or a C7, you could pair Iris v1 devices to the older hub and share them via hub mesh to the C8 and keep using them. You might, depending on their location vis-a-vis the hub, need to add a couple of repeaters to the older hub to help the devices connect. If you have a quantity of an old device that you really like and it can't be paired to the C8, that is an option.

2 Likes

I am well aware but the the whole reason I bought the C8 was to remove a hub from my house. If HE had said the V1 devices wouldn't work when they announced the C8 I wouldn't have bought it. I would have just kept the two hubs I have now.

Got it, just wanted to make sure you (and others viewing this topic) that the option was available.

Clearly HE didn't know about this issue, and didn't have any info that anticipated it. They do migrate fine (mine all did) so they wouldn't have found it there. Since V1 devices are relatively rare these days and not many people are getting new ones and adding them to their hubs, probably a very low probability that they would be both present and need to be paired w/a C8 during the beta testing. Just a confluence of events...though I know that doesn't help you with your situation.

2 Likes