Zigbee channel - minimizing conflict

First post, awaiting new Hubitat.

I’d like to avoid zigbee issues at the start… The ST hub is on Zigbee 19 and my 2.4gHz Wi-Fi is on Channel 1. I believe these do not conflict. There’s also a Wink hub, although powered-on, it’s rarely used and I have no idea what Zigbee channel it uses. Anyone know how to determine and possibly change Wink’s zigbee channel?

It looks like I can select the Hubitat Zigbee channel? Anything from 20 to 26 OK? Recommendations? Any other issues I should worry about? Thanks!

1 Like

25 is a safe bet.

1 Like

I don't know about 25 but when I was on channel 26. Hubitat couldn't find my ST multi sensor gen1. I ended up switching back to channel 21.

No idea how to determine Wink’s Zigbee channel, but a tweet to Wink support might get you a quick response.

I asked them a while ago and here’s the answer. Sounds strange but I gave up on Wink support a long time ago. Still have my Wink 2 with 15+ outlink receptacles. :sob:

When your Hub is first connecting a Zigbee devices it looks for the Zigbee channel that has the least amount of interference and will then continue to use that channel unless all Zigbee devices are removed and the Hub is rebooted. We are not able to see which Zigbee channel the Hub chooses though. We do apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any other questions please let us know and we will be happy to help.

1 Like

:rofl:

I am coming over from Smartthings and my new Hubitat Hub has just arrived.
I would like to plan the channels adopted for WiFi and Zigbee to start...

I am here in UK and as I say seeking advice on channels

I have 2 WiFi APs, the modem router on Channel 1 and additional AP on Channel 11.
The modem router is also using Channel 36 (20/40/80) for a 5GHz WiFi.

Having checked the STT IDE I can see the STT Hub is running Zigbee on Channel 20.
This is physically located 2 ft from the modem router.

Currently the Hubitat Hub is using Channel 16 and is some 8ft away from my secondary AP, 2.4GHz Channel 11. No 5GHz.

Before I proceed to start building out my new network, does anyone have any advice on the Channels currently selected and what they would be best set at please?
The STT Hub is set for Zigbee Channel 20 and is close to the AP running on WiFI Channel 1.
If all goes to plan I will be retiring the STT as a zigbee/zwave hub and using it to bridge to stuff in the cloud whilst linking to the Hubitat.

Any comments?

PS as I am using the UK kit, does anyone suggest which of the ZWave or Zigbee USBs is best used with the USB extension cable provided? Or just plug them both into the small Hub? Becuase they cant fit in the chassis together...

I would put HE on channel 18 or 20 if you are planning to retired the ST hub. I find channel 20 is a sweet channel for most of my zigbee devices. Saying that... I have ST and HE both on channel 20 and they are being good friend to each other since February. I have 100+ zigbee devices on HE and around 30 zigbee devices on ST without any conflict.
I also have 3 Wifi APs, Hue bridge on 25, wink 2 on an unknown channel.

1 Like

@Navat604 thanks for your response.
So both STT & HE set to Channel 20...and it works all ok?
I thought that would cause conflict and contention but then again I am a novice...

Or shall I try HE on 18 & leave STT on 20 until I retire it?
I am thinking easier to get right channels now before building my network of mains and battery operated Zigbee and zwave devices

For my system. Everything is working fine. As long as you don't leave them side by side I think. I remember @patrick.stuart mentioned somewhere.
I put HE on 20 because I couldn't get some of my zigbee devices to pair with higher channel and also thought I retired my ST soon after.

Okies so I have started with a test.
2 old ST Motion Sensors ( model: 3325-S, manufacturer: CentraLite and motionv4 manufacturer: SmartThings) and an ST Outlet.
My STT Hub is on Zigbee Channel 20 and the HE was originally on Channel 16.

I just couldn't get the Motion Sensors to show up on the HE.
Reset after reset...nothing.

Thanks to Andy @support, and his patience we have identified the issue to being the Zigbee Channel. THe devices dont like 16. After a few tests I have settled on Channel 19 for my HE for now.

Just got the 2 MOtion Sensors working with the outlet.
Written my first Simple_Lighting app.

I am just starting out on HE but here is what I have done to start.

All relating to 2.4Ghz

I have the WIFI base system on Ch 6 with three more APs around the house on Ch 1.

I have two Hue Hubs running on Zigbee ch 20 and 25

Putting HE on Ch23 to avoid the wifi altogether.

I have disabled zigbee on the other HE as that is just running zwave heating systems!

Hopefully this diagram below makes it easier for others, it helped me.

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 16.56.27|690x265