Zigbee Button

No caseta in the UK/EU.

1 Like

They work fine, I have a few, but they eat batteries like snacks just reporting stuff like temperature. I am gradually swapping mine out for buttons that lie dormant and don't waste their battery between presses.

There seem to be some on Amazon?

I wonder if there is a difference between US and UK models - mine seem fine.. I've got 4 in "production" and they last quite a while at least a couple of months or longer (have lost track, sorry!) - I also have some Lutron Pico's which last even longer - for years or so the claim goes. Haven't had them long enough to say for sure.

That's right, a couple of months or longer. Sorry, but just not good enough for a device that I only wanted to use up battery when I press its button - which is barely more than once a day as I use automations and voice control mainly. The buttons I am gradually replacing them with barely use their batteries at all.

1 Like

I have a set for our bed side sconces - the last time I replaced them I think was around 3-4 months ago and it looks like I have about 84% left so not too bad. Thinking about this a bit more I agree it should be much longer like the Picos. The Picos do not monitor temperature though. Battery quality is a big factor too nowadays..

I don't require my buttons to be awake 24 hours a day looking for temperature changes though. Buttons are meant for turning stuff off and on :smiley: Another economy is that I now get 4-button buttons so I can do more stuff with just the one battery.

1 Like

I have a very nifty sequence (I use Node-RED for my rules) that counts button taps so I can have a multi-tap interface (up to 4 or 5 depending but 3 is optimal) for any type of button controller. For our single button sconces I toggle the lights as follows - one tap, my side, two taps my wife's side, 3 taps (or hold) both. But to your point - you can do more things with multiple buttons and likely conserve a bit more energy while doing so.

My rules of home automation are:

1. You shouldn’t know that it’s there
  2. You shouldn’t need reading glasses to operate it
    I only use rocker switches, never multiple switches, as everyone intuitively knows how to work them. Gradually they learn the additional features available, but everything works as normal without knowledge. These Lutron switches are too complicated and will require labels in small print. They won’t pass the Wife Test.
2 Likes

They make many models... this one is pretty straightforward.

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 8.33.21 AM

2 Likes

I have never had anyone ask me how to operate my Caseta dimmers, switches, and fan conmtrollers. Believe it or not, people are pretty good about pushing the top button to turn something on, and the bottom button to turn it off.

But, you're not alone in your dislike for classic Caseta styling. Thus, Lutron has just recently released new options.

How about the new Caseta Diva dimmer and Caseta Claro switch? They look like a traditional decora style switch.

1 Like

Agreed, the aesthetic isn’t for everyone.

But respectfully, the idea that Picos aren’t intuitive is simply untrue (not including the far less common versions with multiple buttons that are all the same and would require some labeling to distinguish).

Lutron puts a lot of time and effort (and presumably market research) into user experience. Picos have been around for a long time so if it there was a widespread concern among users that they’re hard to use, I’ll bet they would have responded with a re-design by now.

1 Like