Zigbee button suggestions?

I currently have 2 smartthings buttons V3? and they are super, super simple to use. Press once, toggle lights, hold, dim, double-tap full bright. I seriously love these, but I can't find them anywhere.

I bought an Aeotec NanoMote Quad recently, and although it works ok, I sometimes have to press a button to wake it, then press it again to activate the rule I've set. It's caused double taps when I think the device is still asleep but it's actually awake. For myself, I could work with it, but the wife already dislikes smart lights that she's frustrated with it.

1 Like

The SmartThings Button was good while it lasted (at least if you didn't have one of the original-firmware ones that sent double button events after a period of dormancy, which it sounds like you also have with that other device). Samsung is shifting SmartThings' hardware manufacturing around now, it seems--Aeotec looks to be taking over some or all of it--so maybe they'll begin making or selling it again or come out with a redesigned model (this was from the fall of 2018; SmartThings historically refreshed their sensors and whatnot every year or two from what I remember).

So, if you want Zigbee and something that is currently available, I'm not sure what to recommend other than the Sonoff Zigbee Button (model SNZB-01). It's the only such device I can even think of at the moment aside from the Xiaomi buttons, which can be problematic if you don't carefully build your Zigbee mesh with only "compatible" devices. [EDIT: Oops, forgot about the Hue button!] Like most Sonoff Zigbee devices, it's not the prettiest thing, but it's probably the least offensive-looking of this lineup. I bought one just to try (along with a few other of their devices), and it works well for me.

If you have a lot of buttons or want something super-reliable, I recommend Lutron Pico remotes. There's a bit of a startup cost in that you'll need a Smart Bridge Pro (for Caséta; and the "Pro" is key) or RA2 system (usually more expensive and technically only intended for professional installation, bit DIY-able if you know how--and take Lutron's free training to get the software). But Picos are pretty cheap, so compared to almost any device besides the Sonoff, you're likely to balance out the price if you get enough. They're also really reliable in my experience, and they have lots of other advantages like coming in different configurations and colors and being able to be mounted in a standard US wall plate to look almost like a "normal" switch if you want. But I digress--this isn't Zigbee. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When it comes to form factor, I love the Konke button and Philips Hue Button. (I also have four of the SmartThings buttons) Konke is a Xiaomi-built device I believe, but it works great in my ecosystem using a custom community driver.
The Hue is similar in design and comes with a wall plate, which is nice. But in my experience, it’s difficult to find.

1 Like

The new zigbee 3.0 xiaomi Opple buttons are fantastic. And no repeater issues I've seen, like with older Xiaomi zigbee devices. I have iris 3210L plugs, Sylvania zigbee RGBW bulbs, tradfri repeaters, tradfri bulbs and a couple xbees.

The Aqara buttons come in 4 types, be sure to get the zigbee 3.0 compliant ones
They're cheap enough, get one and try. The picos are fantastic, if you're rich, the pro-bridge alone is ~150. Switches are ~60.00 each

2 Likes

Not rich, but i'll take a look at those xiamoi opple buttons. thanks!

worth a shot to look at those konke ones. thanks

Just to be clear for the OP...the Pico five button remotes are $14 on Amazon, a great deal. The switches are, as you note, run more expensive. I have the Lutron pro hub and a bunch of picos, which I use in place of switches in a switch plates in a couple of locations.

Konke's also look interesting...I just posted a question on the Konke button driver thread about how things are going for those using them.

1 Like

RGBgenie makes one supported by HE. I couldn't find them in Canada so I went with picos. The RGBgenie have got some positive reviews on this forum.

https://rgbgenie.com/?product=rgbgenie-color-micro-remote-with-single-scene-recall-zigbee

2 Likes

I have several of the 4 button hue dimmers (paid directly to HE) that work well for me. Two of the buttons (on and off) support push, and the middle two dimmer buttons support held (there is a slight delay on the push events for these 2 buttons).

One nice thing for my use is that the wall plate/holder is magnetic both for holding the dimmer (which is removable) and for attaching to metal surfaces (i have one on the side of my fridge).

The Pico’s have to be paired to the Lutron Bridge though correct?

1 Like

Correct. There are some people who get the Lutron Caseta Pro bridge simply to be able to use Picos with Hubitat - they are incredibly versatile.

1 Like

Hey - I'm right here you know, I can hear you! :wink:

Yes, 100%, and I'm one of the "some people" who did that. No regrets...the Picos "just work" 100% of the time, \are very customizable (I use the ABC button control community app), and my family finds them adorable. We have most of them sitting around on tables as remotes, a few mounted in switch plates, and a few mounted via velcro. Some day I may add Lutron switches, but for now the versatility and reliability of the Picos makes it worth the cost of the bridge to use them.

Forgot to add...buddy of mine has glued tiny (but strong) disc magnets he found on Amazon to the back of a few of his Picos, so he can stick them to metal surfaces (e.g., filing cabinet in his office, metal frame of coffee table in familiy room). I haven't needed that yet, but wanted to note that it's an option.

3 Likes

Yep me too!!!

Wife is slowly warming to the pico idea in some (very select) situations. Am in the process of replacing SmartThings buttons that control some sconces with picos. Also now that I figured out how to intercept the "fast" pico double-taps in NR I have even more control!!! Mwuhahahahaha!!!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hahahaha

2 Likes

Did you know Samsung buttons have a magnet built in? I didn’t realize this at first.

3 Likes

I didn't know this! I've mounted mine using double-sided tape on a kitchen cabinet and next to a switch on a wall, so wouldn't have helped for their current spot, but good to know about the magnet if/when I move them in the future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.