Zigbee bulb on / off with switch

@mike.maxwell most zigbee bulbs when turned off from a wall switch seems to continue reporting their whatever their last status was on hubitat. is there any way for the inbuilt zigbee device drivers to generate at least an on event when power to the bulb is restored from the wall switch especially when the last status in the system was off and now it turns on because power is restored?

i wish i could replace all of the dumb switches in the house ... just not practical do quite do so.

thanks.

Only some brand/models will report status when current is restored. That's true regardless of the hub that you are using.

You can find some discussion of this in the following thread:

1 Like

first good to see you on here and helping the community like you always do. thats awesome :+1:

second sure get that part. but if the device handler polls the device and is able to reach the device then if the last status was off and current status is on then at least send an device on event. i realize that may not happen immediately. but even if it happens in an hour or to when the light is turned off and on by switch that would still be worth it from an automation perspective vs the light staying on the whole day because no one noticed and the automation didnt kick in.

I just ran a quick test on my Cree Zigbee Bulb. It supports the Refresh command from the Generic Zigbee Bulb Driver. So, I turned the bulb off via Hubitat. The status showed as off correctly. I then cycled power to the bulb, causing it to turn on. As expected, it still showed as off in Hubitat. I the pressed the Refresh button on the device page and Hubitat now correctly shows the status as on.

So, you could use RM to call the Refresh command periodically. Just don’t refresh too frequently, as it will place a load on your Zigbee mesh.

i could run refresh on the devices every 15 minutes from rooms manager and if post refresh:

• switch changes from off to on ... then rooms manager can handle it from there.
  • switch changes from on to off ... this does not seem likely to happen when a switch is used.
  • switch stays off after refresh ... nothing to do.
  • switch stays on after refresh ... then rooms manager can handle it from there.

that might just work.

thank you.

Nope, not going to happen.

never say never? :slight_smile:

doesnt the device handler already poll the device?

Not in any what so ever. In fact I've been removing capability refresh from drivers where the included supported devices are known to produce state changes correctly on their own. This is being done to prevent users from adding unnessicary polling overhead on their networks due to lack of knowledge, or in an attempt to overcome inadequate repeater coverage, which polling won't fix anyway.

1 Like

well there goes that idea.

thanks mike.

Sorry dude, you just need to rip those switches out, then get a Lutron bridge and put some picos where your switches were...
Are there any other ways I can help with spending your cash? :innocent:

2 Likes

yeah, yeah.

[quote="mike.maxwell, post:10, topic:1736"]
Are there any other ways I can help with spending your cash? :innocent:
[/quote

send my wife a brochure for summer cruise on the rhine? :smile:

4 Likes