ZigBee Arrival Sensor For Car

Thanks for the details - perfectly understandable and (surprisingly) what I hoped/suspected. Love it when a device works like I hope it will.

I do think that one simple adjustment to my presence/garage door rules would block any accidental openings of the garage, regadless of the situation.

If I make powerSource = dc a required condition in my presence rules that open the garage, my rules won't run unless the car is running:

When I come home the sensor joins the mesh and reports it's on dc and present my rule will run and open the door.

When the car is sitting in the driveway or garage, it's on battery (as noted I'm converting my BMW to be the same as our other car, USB power only when the car is running) so my rule can never run in that state, which will block any openings when the car is sitting in the garage or driveway.

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Seems ok to me. But I've had a drink or two celebrating the Pels win :laughing:

3 Likes

LOL...I bet it's at least two drinks. Congrats!

Just tested it and worked fine - w/new mid-range antenna the garage door starts opening at the bottom of the dirveway.

Covers this case you noted:

I think this is locked down and ready to show to the wifey. :smiley: And yes, that is very high praise, @iharyadi, you done good!!

BTW, would it make sense to make this a driver setting? Something like:

• Only report presence changes if powerSource = dc.

That could be a preferred setting for some users.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind word.

@NoWon suggestion about checking the car power status a long with presence is good one to tide up the garage door automation. This will make sure that the garage does not open accidentally.

To be honest with you, handling power outage cases always worry me. I am not 100% sure the start up behavior of the hub. Again, @NoWon suggestion is solid. We should do that rule with our sensor and garage door.

At the same time, I personally minimize this downtime with UPS and battery backed up repeater. I know that this is not a solution but at least it will make it so much rarer. I do get power outage in my area from time to time (perhaps more than average American household). I do have generator and UPS.

I will pay more attention more for the power outage case. I have not seen any issue so far on my home my self. Yes, I did experience some power outage in the past. I don't have development hub anymore. It broke about a year or two ago. I will try to get another one on next sale. Once, I have one, I can simulate power outage and test what would be the behavior.

Thanks but that was @danabw suggestion for checking dc power.
Good idea.

Mine are completely powered down except when the car is running.
I have never had an issue.

1 Like

@danabw, sorry not to give you the credit for the excellent idea. I was not feeling too well last night and slept early. I have too many thing to catch up in the morning.

1 Like

You had the really excellent idea of this sensor. I'm not worthy... :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

What are you using? I’d like to try to optimize the time it takes for the sensor to reconnect to the mesh upon returning home. TIA…

If an outdoor repeater is a little difficult to manage I highly recommend the Sonoff USB zigbee dongle, and the tiny Tuya USB repeaters.

Via the SonOff or the Tuya (depending on which the Arrival Sensor seems to see first) and a mid-size antenna on the Arrival Sensor I'm getting the garage door opening just as I hit the foot of my driveway. That's 55' from the Tuya behind my dual-wall metal garage door, and when it hooks up to the SonOff that's 75' away from the foot of my driveway through the garage door and two walls.

Realy impressive.

2 Likes

@danabw
Which driver are you using with your Sonoff usb dongle?
Have 2 sitting on my desk I just never got around to pairing with my hub.
I was going to try them with home assistant but never did.

I am using Xbee3 pro as routers (and end devices) with 20 foot long cable outside through the attic and a roof vent onto my garage roof.
Xbee3 pro's are rated up to 2 miles. But this is limited to antennas on both ends (and antenna placement) as well local interference, as well as how often the arrival device is transmitting (most are every 10-20 seconds) and how fast you are driving. You can move quit far in 10-20 seconds.
Mine usually trigger about 2-3 houses away.
I believe @iharyadi arrival sensors are about the same power level as the Xbee3 pro.

1 Like

They tend to join as a "Device" but then they log endlessly. Based on advice from @aaiyar I changed them to the Ikea repeater driver and they work w/out issue using that.

3 Likes

That would not fly for my use...my wife would freak out. :slight_smile: She is very conservative about automations related to doors/locks.

I've "tuned" my arrival sensor setup (via changing antenna to the mid-sized one) to respond at the bottom of the driveway so she won't worry about them opening the door when she's not actually right at the house. We have a long enough driveway (about 45', and uphill) so that is plenty early for her arrival home.

1 Like

@danabw looking at the Sonoff specs it has a +5 to +20dBm settable output
The Xbee3 pro is +19dBM @ 135mA.
So the Sonoff is likely rated the same range or more as the Xbee3 pro.
300ft (indoor) to 2mile (outdoor) range.

Looks like the ZBdongle-P default is +5dBm but the ZBdongle-E default is +20 dBm

2 Likes

I'm glad it's defaulting to 5...at 20 my garage door would open up when I was parked at the local grocery store. :wink:

1 Like

@iharyadi are you still making these and if so how do I go about ordering 2 or 3 of them?

Hi @Davedave1234,

Welcome to Hubitat community. Yes, I still have some arrival sensor. I will give you a PM.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

I'm all out of cars, yet still I want more... :wink:

3 Likes

Need another myself but waiting till he does usb-c :wink:
It's definitely a great device. I recommend them when i can. I hope he's making at least some profit on these. He should also sell them on the ST forum

3 Likes

What stubby antenna did you use?
Looking to replace my SmartThings arrival sensor that is in my son's backpack with iharyadi's arrival sensor. Tired of SmartThings randomly going departed and then coming back (have 3 all doing the same thing). iharyadi's arrival sensor and my Xbee3 have never had a problem.

That came from @iharyadi - not sure where he got it from.

1 Like