ZigBee Arrival Sensor For Car

@rlithgow1 and @cwwilson08

I’m curious - what repeaters are you using?

FWIW, my sensor connects through zigbee 3.0 outlets, or a zigbee 3.0 router I made from a Sonoff dongle. So far, it hasn’t fallen off.

There are 6 of the old centralite ZigBee/zwave block plugs scattered through the house. The only other powered ZigBee device is an environment sensor from @iharyadi. It reports and works as expected.

All my testing has been in the same room with the hub. I have not gotten as far as putting it in my car.

It goes through my sengled outlet then the hub

I'm wondering if it doesn't work well with some repeaters ..... (or directly with the hub).

Strange though it;'s been working up until this point

Maybe it switched repeaters?

1 Like

Not sure... But I deleted it from HE overall and reset it and it seems to be working now.

1 Like

@rlithgow1, I am in the middle of vacation. It is a bit hard for me to support you at the moment. I will be back in the first week of September. I will get in touch with you.

3 Likes

No worries, have fun!!

2 Likes

Which outdoor Zigbee repeater do you use?

@aaiyar which one do you use?

The vibration sensor provides a shock attribute and they radar sensor a motion attribute correct?

Is the idea that shock can occur from a large truck passing but shock and motion indicates someone in the car?

Has anyone experienced false positives from the motion sensor and/or found an ideal mounting orientation?

Can someone provide a photo of the sensor installed in their car?

Yes, that is correct.

I intended for the shock to detect vibration on the car. In case, the car is bumped while it is parked. The vibration will also detect when the door is slammed.

Motion will detect human motion inside the car. It also extend about 1 to 2 feet around the car. I put this sensor to detect someone approaching my car before any vibration is detected.

In my CRV, there is usb connections under the arm rest. I installed it there. In my countryman, I install it inside the trunk since it has an extra cigarette lighter. I personally think the placement should be anywhere close to where you can get access to a power supply.

CC2652P-based Sonoff USB dongle flashed with router firmware. Total cost ~$20. I've got two of these. One in my garage and one outdoor. They work great.

5 Likes

I have a hatchback. I put mine in the back.

I have a USB port on the back of my head unit so I just ran a cable to the glove box

When I first read that I didn't notice the word unit, had to reread. :thinking:

4 Likes

Great work @iharyadi

This and other postings on your device experimentation lay proof that you have what it takes to make some very versatile units.

I would encourage you to think about applying this to a multi-function device that could be place far afield outdoors in a weatherproof enclosure running off 12v DC solar & battery. (Including the ability to read and alarm on the level of that 12vDC power source, a battery check if you will.)

Your car application is a proof-of-concept for much of what would be required.

The use case may be such that your unit is just one part of what is powered by that solar+battery.

In fact I could see wanting to integrate sensors remoted from your device, ie. water tank level, pump amperage monitoring, water flow, temperature probes, pressure sensor,...OK scope creep here...just dreaming.

1 Like

I am back from my vacation. I just have gone through a list of you who reach out to me during my vacation for this sensor. I believe I have responded with a PM message.

In case that I may missed your request, I still have some Arrival Sensor available. Please feel free to reach out here or through a PM.

4 Likes