Zigbee application profiles supported?

sorry to necropost, but I can't find anywhere better for this...

Does anyone have their Rainforest Eagle-200 linked into their Hubitat Elevation system?

@doctorkb I have the original Eagle connected to Hubitat. My driver uses the local API to retrieve the current power usage every 20 seconds. I’m not sure how much of the API has changed with the newer model. In order to use the local API I had to disable cloud access (why they required that, who knows). I found that requesting data from the Eagle so often caused it to frequently lock up, so I have it connected to a lamp timer and have it power cycle every few hours. The whole thing has been a pain, but it otherwise works.

1 Like

Thanks... I've got it reporting through OpenHAB now so it isn't the end of the world. Just would be nice, but not worth having to reboot things that often.

In case it's useful for anyone here is my code. There is an app and a driver. The app creates a child device. I added a feature that will automatically power cycle an outlet that the Eagle is plugged into when it locks up.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @augoisms . I'm finally trying to complete moving everything from my Vera3 and my Rainforest Eagle is one of the last pieces. I entered all of the information in the app and see the child device created, but it doesn't seem to work. It can't refresh at all. I tried the "MAC" from the bottom of my Rainforest Eagle (16 hex digits) and also the network MAC Address (12 hex digits). Neither way works.

Log isn't very helpful:

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.237 pm debugsending event: [date:Sun Apr 19 18:18:20 PDT 2020, value:---, name:power, displayed:true, description:--- W, descriptionText:--- W]

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.233 pm debugsuccess: false

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.229 pm debugstatus: 401

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.226 pm debugrefresh response

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.222 pm debugsending request

dev:3852020-04-19 06:18:20.194 pm debugrefresh()

Any ideas? Thanks

@kleung1 Status 401 means unauthorized, so you’re at least reaching the Eagle. I would stick with the hex version of the MAC 0x{ADDRESS_ON_BOTTOM}. Have you disabled cloud access on the Eagle? I vaguely remembering this being a requirement.

1 Like

@kleung1 I was looking at my old ST posts on this, and I mentioned needing to disable both "remote management" and "security."

Also, it looks like someone wrote a ST app/driver for a cloud api version, so if you can't get it work you could try and port their code. The Eagle has unfortunately been difficult to deal with. Good luck!

Thank you so much @augoisms. I'm looking into this. It's difficult to decipher what's happening because while I'm not able to log-in to the Eagle locally, I can view it on https://rainforestcloud.com/

The Rainforest Eagle "Cloud" service was Bidgely, which seems to be no longer supported, so I kind of thought the cloud is disabled. I disabled it anyway, but no change. Is being able to connect via rainforestcloud.com in a way a "cloud" service? Or is this the "remote management" you're referring to?

I'm going to give the ST app/driver a look and see if I can port it to try. Thanks for the pointers!

@kleung1 The cloud settings are different. Open up the first “Eagle” section, click the cog, and then uncheck remote management and security. This will obviously disable cloud/remote access, but you can still access the local url (eagle-{CloudId}.local).

Fair warning, you’ll likely find your Eagle locking up frequently, so you’ll definitely want it plugged into a smart outlet.

I came across a Home Assistant thread where people were having similar lockup issues as I have experienced with this polling method (local or cloud API). Creating a custom cloud provider that the Eagle pushes data to seems to be the way to go. I’m tempted to write a new driver that supports this.

I just went through this setup a few minutes ago and happy to share my experience. I used the mac address from the bottom of the device, lowercase, no spaces.

Also, like @augoisms said, uncheck the Allow Remote Management and Enable Security boxes.

1 Like

I ended up using a custom script on my Linux box to query the Eagle once per minute. It isn't instantenous demand (but neither was OpenHAB) -- it just gives an idea of when the big sucks (furnace, heaters) are on, as well as the ongoing meter reading. This made more sense to me since I'm just using it to graph usage -- not automate anything.

Since switching to this, I haven't had to reboot the Eagle once. Could the HE/ST implementations not be closing their connections properly?

That's interesting. I would be surprised if they weren't closing connections properly, but who knows. Perhaps it's related to the frequency of queries. My code is querying every 20 seconds, so perhaps 1 minute is better. Personally, I want higher frequency that 1 min. Really the Eagle shouldn't lock up... a shame they never fixed this before dropping support.

I wouldn't mind a higher frequency. I went the easy route -- it's a one-and-done execution that cron runs... and since cron can only run something once per minute...

What do you mean "before dropping support" -- are you on an EAGLE or EAGLE-200? The EAGLE-200 appears to still be fully supported...

I had considered using the Uploader API for instantenous data, but that was going to take more work than I felt like at the time.

I have the original EAGLE (100). I am considering writing a new driver that implements the uploader API. Even with my auto power cycle logic, it sometimes doesn't come back up and I have to manually attend to it.

@augoisms, Thanks for the link to the discussion on HA and thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I'm going to hold-off until I can get something working that won't lock up the Eagle. Maybe a custom "cloud" for the Eagle to connect to by running Node-Red on my Synology NAS.

@kleung1 @doctorkb I have a working driver that implements the uploader API (driver only, no parent app needed). I want to add some more data from the payloads and then let it run for a few days to see how it does, but otherwise things are looking good. I'll keep you all posted!

1 Like

@augoisms: Thank you for generously sharing! Looking forward to it!

I too am interested. I have for the last four years had my Rainforest Eagle data being logged to a Raspberry PI as well as connected to Wattvision. Same experience as others where the Eagle stops responding after a while. I have configured a reboot command sent every day from my PI that solved that issue.

The connection to Wattvision seems to work very well as data is always there whereas the data from the Rainforest portal seems to stop a lot until I log into it.

@anderml You can find the driver here:

[RELEASE] Rainforest Eagle

Thanks, I'll follow there going forward. Since I use Wattvision for the cloud setting I'll have to decide if I want to drop that as I have the one year history plan with them.