Zen51 dry contact relay becoming unresponsive every few days/weeks

I have a few Zen51 dry contact relays, running on the latest 1. I 7 firmware, a few of them controlled by a C7, others by a C8.
All show the same behavior: they work perfectly fine for days or weeks; then suddenly they become completely unresponsive (not all at the same time, just randomly), and all I can do is power cycle them; after a power cycle, they go back to normal behavior, until the next crisis.
The "events" don't seem to be correlated to anything happening with the hub or the rest of the network; and they are not more or less frequent depending on how close/far the units are to the hub...
As anyone else seen a similar behavior with these devices?

I just have one that runs our shower fan -- I've had it since they first released these, and we've never had a problem with it (it's on 1.70 firmware).

Are all the wiring connections tight? Is there any chance the line power and/or neutral feeding the Z51 is intermittent or sketchy at that location

Can you post your full ZW details screen? Other folks here can help see if that holds any clues.

Connections are fine - and the multiple devices are installed in different locations (hard to imagine having sketchy wiring in multiple places all ending up with the same behavior...).
The ZW details look pretty straightforward:

Z-wave details from Settings > Z-Wave details.

I also have one ZEN51, installed for quite a long time and never had an issue.
Is it paired with S2 security or None?

Also, your product info is missing from the data section, resulting in my driver not detecting what device you have, so all the settings are probably hidden from you.

You can use this tool: [RELEASE] Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner to get those details back. Just press the "Get Info" command button, give it sa few seconds and refresh the page. Should then show the device ID and such below. You do not need to click any of the other buttons on the driver.

Switch back to the ZEN51 driver and run a configure and refresh the page again, should restore all the settings.

No security.
Get info:

zwave details:

Ok next question, how long has hub been running since last reboot? That is a LOT of route changes (132). My worst devices will get maybe 20 per week.

Also, once you switch back to ZEN51 driver and configure, that UNK00 should be corrected to ZEN51 and all your settings should show up.

1 Like

sorry, I actually meant to send this - after get info, your driver:

I automatically restart both hubs weekly.

BTW, I should have probably mentioned that I did try your driver a few days ago, but switch back to the stock driver - which is what I have been running across all my zen51's.
Should I switch them to your driver? Any specific (reliability) benefits?

Ok, so is this the device that recently locked up? It could have caused a bunch if route change attempts if it was offline. Might be good to see the full Z-wave details pages, or otherwise check the stats on your other devices. You could also reboot he hub and monitor that route changes number daily to see if it is climbing normally or only when it goes offline.

Do you happen to have a "Firmware Update" (Not the regular update button) on the top of the Z-Wave details for the C7 hub? If so, you need to do that as well.

The large number of route changes could be the cause of the issue, or also caused by it... hard to tell at this time.

Just gives you access to all the latest and greatest settings, sometimes extra features. I also cannot see the internal workings of the system drivers, so not sure how they handle all the various events but I try to make mine the most efficient and logical as possible. All my drivers are also compatible with "Device Activity Check" which you may be interested in to help detect when they go offline.

1 Like

They all locked up "recently" (this one just yesterday; another one last week; another one last month...).
Z-wave firmware is up to date for both hubs.
I have a fairly large number of zwave devices... the zwave details page is quite long... this is part of the topology page (not the best, I know; my C7's is better):

I'll try running this one device with your driver for a while - and see if anything changes. Thanks for the feedback.

I would keep daily tabs on the route changes. And also the PER number (errors).
You should not see more than 2-3 a day, if it is excessive even while the device is running, that I believe that will be the cause of the device lock ups.

How to solve it... can cross that bridge once you gather more info on the errors and route changes over time.

OK; I'll restart this hub and keep track for route changes and errors related to this device.
I'll report back in a week or so; thanks again.

...not lying:

1 Like

well, I have this after 24 hours...

I should add that several other devices of mines report similar route changes numbers... the worst ones are the aeotec power meters, at about 200 after 24 hours...
PERs are mostly limited to this device and the remotec zxt600s.

Oof. Can you post a screenshot (may need multiples) of your entire ZW details page (so we can see entries like the one above for all of your ZW devices)?

That may reveal some helpful clues about the overall health of your ZW mesh.

1 Like

Hopefully this is readable...

Looks like you have some power metering plugs? Turn off any meters you donโ€™t need and make sure the reporting intervals are sane. Report as little as possible to get the info you need.

Those devices spamming stuff out could be causing all the other mesh issues.

Same goes for any sensor devices. Watching for spammy messages and dial back reporting.

Those S0 thermostats look very chatty also. What all are they reporting? Can you adjust the reporting settings on them?

2 Likes

In addition to Jeff's wise words about spammy messaging, I'd look hard at those devices paired "S0" -- S0 devices can be particularly crushing to a mesh if they are sending messages often.

Edit - jinx!

1 Like