ZEN16 Garage Door RM issue

I'm going in circles, figured the community could set me straight. I created a rule like this in the past but sadly deleted it when myQ blew up. I have a newly installed ZEN16 with tilt sensors. All works fine at the moment with no issue EXCEPT, I created this rule which I thought was pretty simple....

So I'm trying to just have HE monitor when the DOORS are OPEN longer than 30 min. If that happens then just close them. ZEN16 is a switch to turn it ON (to close) after 30 min. I had the 'trigger' set for 'changes' but then switched it to OPEN but i think that's wrong. What's happening is that the 30 min 'delay' is still running after the door closes (Before the 30 min) and proceeds to open on it's own. For instance, this morning after walking my son to the bus stop, I opened the door manually at 6:33am, and immediately closed it. I walked back home and open it again at 6:39am, then closed it. All manually done. At 7:03am it just opened (via HE) and I closed it (1/2 sleep), 7 min later at 7:10am, it opened again ;-( my wife is looking at me sideways now, like this isn't working, sir!

here's a snippet from the log:
app:17302024-04-23 07:03:07.458 AMinfoAction: On: Right Garage Door-Zooz --> delayed: 0:30:00

app:17302024-04-23 07:03:07.455 AMinfoAction: IF (Right Garage Door Sensor contact open(T) [TRUE]) THEN

app:17302024-04-23 07:03:07.443 AMinfoTriggered: Right Garage Door Sensor contact open

app:17302024-04-23 07:03:07.441 AMinfoEvent: Right Garage Door Sensor contact open

dev:17632024-04-23 07:03:07.409 AMinfoRight Garage Door Sensor contact is open

dev:17602024-04-23 07:03:06.108 AMinfoRight Garage Door-Zooz: switch is off

dev:17602024-04-23 07:03:04.065 AMinfoRight Garage Door-Zooz: switch is on

dev:17602024-04-23 07:03:03.557 AMdebugon()

app:17302024-04-23 07:03:03.550 AM[info](http://172.32.31.71/logs#)Delay Over: On: Right Garage Door-Zooz

What am I missing?
Thanks so much in advance!

If I understand what you want this might work for you.

2 Likes

jedwards's solution above should work well for you...

In your original build, you're using the same thing (contact open) as both the trigger and the condition for the rule -- that's unnecessary overkill.

In your build, whenever the door is opened, it will always action (garage = on) again after 30 minutes no matter what else happens in that 30-min period... That "action" will be open or close, depending on the door's state at that 30-min mark.

So, if the door was (manually) closed in that 30-minute period, the scheduled garage=on action will cause it to open again at 30 minutes. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

In jedwards's build, the trigger is appropriately narrowed by a "and stays for 30 minutes" caveat. That way, if the door is (manually) closed before 30 minutes, nothing triggers.

ETA - food for thought... I myself am not a fan of blindly closing my garage door. Yeah, 99% of the time, it'll be fine & clear, but fate loves to be tempted by blind automations like this... Maybe it crunches an incoming car's roof, but it could be a lot worse if little kids might be around.

Instead of automatically closing my door, I just have an alert set up for my door being open unusually long. I have an old Wyze cam positioned to see it well, so I can just check that to ensure coast is clear, and I then can close it myself via dashboard.

2 Likes

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

There are multiple stores on this forum of people causing severe damage to cars from automatically closing doors. Yes they have sensors but depending on the vehicle the sensors may clear under the frame between the wheels, or behind the wheel under the back bumper.

Here is my simple notifications app rule that harasses us until we close the door. It has saved me a few times recently from leaving it open potentially all afternoon.

3 Likes

oh wow this is great. I have never even noticed that "And stays" option until today....thanks so much. And i like the monitor to let me know it's open as well. I appreciate the feedback, love to learn new things! Thanks again.

1 Like

Curious why my Local Variables has %device% and %text%

Those are automatically created for you to use within the rules.

1 Like

I dont seem to be able to setup TExT OPTIONS, clicking that TEXT button generates errors. Will look around & see what I do not have setup properly.

There are no options to configure for %text% (or the other italic variables) -- they are built-in and set by the rule automatically.

It might be helpful to specifically state what "errors" you are seeing, as that is likely a different problem. Clicking anywhere in that table should bring you to the Select Actions to Run page (the same as clicking that actual box above), since that is where the same variable table appears and the values can actually be edited (for real variables, not these) if needed.

Sorry, I typed that too quickly. I figured it out. Notifications are working now.