Zen Thermostat driver broken in 2.3.4.x

I had to drag out my old ST v2 hub to update mine last year - AFAIK there havent been any updates since.

2nd hand v2 Hubs are usually cheap on FleaBay.

I can't remember - any regrets about the FW update?

Nope, it was a significant improvement.

1 Like

Appreciate the tip but I don't throw good money after bad products, I've been working around this issue for awhile now with using delay, refresh, and off commands in my node red flows to compensate for the issue. It's the only issue I've noticed with the thermostat and it's not that big of an issue needing an immediate hassle free solution.

I've contacted the company and asked them for a firmware update for this issue and to send it to Hubitat so they can push the update to their users via zigbee updater. If they respond great if not, no big deal for me.

Iā€™m wondering if my issues are caused by Rule Machine - Iā€™m seeing massive lag in thermostat related rules.

Only issue is I canā€™t mail it down to anything specific. I made sure my triggers between rules canā€™t overlap and that made a small improvement.

Itā€™s just weird tho as I hasnā€™t touched these rules in over a year before moving them from legacy to RM 5.1.

@waynespringer79 - I also just emailed them to see about getting the firmware. I have a decommissioned ST hub, so Iā€™ll take that route if I need to. I actually havenā€™t had any issues with my Zen, but just in case. And I just ordered another one because Iā€™ve been having issues with one of my NoControl thermostats that Iā€™ve had since my ST days. Iā€™ve had my Zen for over a year now, and itā€™s been solid with the exception of it showing a ā€œpending heatā€ status instead of ā€œheating.ā€

@dJOS - When you have a minute, do you mind sharing your Zen device info? Below is mine. Iā€™m wondering if this indicates the Zigbee version. Also, does the new firmware solve the ā€œpending heatā€ issue?

Sure, here you go:

Btw, with the most recent 2 updates, this issue has gone away for me.

Nope, it's always "pending heat" for my downstairs ducted gas system and Zen support has been less than helpful - they blame Hubitat's driver.

I wonder if anyone has been able to successfully update recently. I bought another 2 Zen thermostats to replace some older Z-wave devices that were giving me problems. They came with older firmware. I've been trying to get them to update using my SmartThings hub to no avail. Pulled the batteries a few times over the course of a few days with them on SmartTh!ngs. Even clicked the update firmware button in the device information. But nothing.

Mine updated from the ST hub, but IIRC they had to sit on the hub for a few days after I hit the update FW option. I think it took maybe ~ 1-2 days.

1 Like

Thanks. I commented too soon. Just checked again, and after about 2 days, it finally updated. On to the next one.

2 Likes

+1 for a firmware update without ST. I got a Zen off Amazon about 2 weeks ago and it came with FW v. 2.31.

My issue is that the device doesn't refresh on its own regularly so the hub never knows what it is doing. I wrote an RM to refresh every 2 minutes so a ceiling fan can work with it together, but this seems clunky to me. The code necessitates a while/repeat loop and it is all hub-side processing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.