ZDnet pronounces the the best Home Automation Hub is

Yup - not saying there is anything wrong w/that approach, you gotta do what works for you, and in fact you're in the majority, FWIW. :slight_smile:

And I forgot to mention my mea culpa, which I've recorded here many other times, that my wife is a button fiend. We have more Picos spread around the house than I can keep track of. You know what they say, happy wife, I get to live another day. :wink:

3 Likes

Same.

I installed a bunch of tradfri buttons on a different platform (HE doesn't support them) for my visually impaired wife to use and she loves them.
I have to ensure those work at all costs.

3 Likes

I go to breakfast every Thursday morning with a group of amateur radio operators. Most of them worked for Motorola at one time and many of them are electrical engineers with distinguished careers such as patents, etc. However, when I talk to them about home automation they are like deer caught in headlights. One of the guys installed a SimpliSafe system in his primary residence as he and his wife often travel for several weeks at a time and he want to check on things. Another guy has Arlo video cameras set up around the perimeter of his home. The rest are clueless. If these guys don't get the concept of home automation, there is not much hope for the average homeowner or apartment dweller.

2 Likes

Analog vs digital plus use (though I'm sure a lot of them know how to do ip over shortwave). I know a lot of older electrical engineers that really don't get today's technology...

While this may be true (along with @rlithgow1 ā€™s Analog v. Digital Guy comment, even in this forum, think about all the jokes and concerns about WAF or SAF or FAF. Think of if the W, S or F was the main initial decision makers as to whether to or not to even automate your home to begin with. Although many of them have gotten on board (once exposed to some of the benefits and conveniences of a ā€œsmarterā€ home, my wife included, but sometimes grudgingly), for the most part I think that if left on their own, most would not have independently gotten into setting up ā€œourā€ version or concept of what we in these forums think home automation should be.

These larger market share companies are larger (at least in part by definition), because they successfully catered to a larger portion of the potential market. It seems obvious (to me at least) that most potential customers just want something very simple (both in concept and operation), with a quick start leaflet and a product that can be taken out of the box, plugged in and just works without much setup. I posit that this is not how the ā€œaverageā€ person would describe the Hubitat hub.

I, of course, believe that Hubitat is the best home automation hub. However, that is based on my definition of what home automation should be able to do, and what I am willing to do to get the functionality I want out of it (learning curve, investment in time etc.). Of course, ZDnetā€™s definition is probably geared towards a wider audience, and that is perfectly understandable, thus Hubitat not making their cut.

IMHO, based on this, depending upon what HE ultimate plans are for future growth (i.e., do they want to become THE premier home hub for general consumer level automation or do they prefer to be more of a niche product primarily designed for enthusiasts?), HE may wish to consider a much more user friendly out of the box experience (but only if they wish to appeal to a wider market). This might include some preloaded templates for ā€œflashierā€ (i.e., more modern looking dashboards), and other features that will make the startup experience more like how easy and intuitive Alexa is for most people. Make the out of the box user experience for the ā€œaverageā€ person extremely simple, but with the current ability to still ā€œgo down the rabbit holeā€ with more advanced features. The relatively new ā€œstartup/welcomeā€ page is a start, but probably still falls short for the average consumer looking for something to get into home automation at their local Best Buy, Walmart or Home Depot.

OTOH, as I have stated many times, I myself am completely satisfied with my experience with Hubitat. It suits me just fine, but it is still somewhat of a niche product. My only concern is that as a relatively small company with a niche product, that HE is able to survive in the long run. As much as I love my Hubitat and its ability to do much more than my Alexa devices, I would guess that my Amazon Alexa will survive (as a company at least) longer than HE (as a company) just due to its market share and size. At least the HE hardware can survive locally (which is why the ability in the future to integrate some form of locally based voice control and announcements would be great for HE or some device that can be connected to HE).

The side of the road is littered with so many home automation companies, and I have invested much time, effort and money into many of them. I donā€™t recall the name but there was a series of excellent shows (I think I saw them on YouTube) that documented the history of the home automation industry and all the casualties. It was interesting as it was an older documentary and included predictions for the future direction the future smart home would take (some were pretty good predictions, some are laughable now).

2 Likes

Pretty much the points I was trying to make above, but said far more eloquently :grin: :+1:

@moh
On the subject of Hubitat Voice Notifications and Hubitat Voice Control (completly local, of course), I will have an anouncement coming out soon...
(There used to be a song: "Getting by with a little help from my friends...")

Stay tuned...

6 Likes

Am very intrigued

1 Like

Very much looking forward to this!

1 Like

This.

While I'm waiting I'm going to hate you a little bit for leaving me hanging with such a big news teaser... :wink::rofl:

Precisely why I wrote that!

3 Likes

share discover GIF

Here is an example of why I do not want Amazon, Google, or Apple responsible for my home automation.

I have a lot of Amazon devices. I have an Amazon Prime account including Amazon video, Amazon Music HD, an Amazon Fire TV Cube, and several Amazon Echo devices around the house. Yesterday, I go locked out of my Amazon account so I cannot access any my Amazon services or devices. I called Amazon Customer Service and talked to someone halfway around the world. He took my information and said he would file a report with the technical team to get my account reset in about 24 hours. I am still waiting for resolution. If I were controlling my home automation using Amazon devices everything would be offline. While my Amazon account is locked, I cannot control my lighting using Alexa voice commands, but everything else works normally because I use Hubitat.

4 Likes

I also recommend turning on 2fa on your amazon account in case it's more than a technical problem.

3 Likes

Why wouldn't you like a company that gives us the space to complain about those that do, don't or inaccurately report on the platform who we like but are not doing what we want them to.....?

This sooo much... the core system should always be local. I even have my Echo Show plugged into an old Iris plug so I can control when it is online.

Also the whole "always listening, even though they pinky swear they're not" plus the massive data collection and analytics thing for commercial and state use is very creepy and full of unknown consequences.

1 Like

I bet you own a Nokia phone.... :wink:

Full disclosure.... I've owned 3, but not for security reasons... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No - PinePhone

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

:rofl:

1 Like

Ok, you win.... :slight_smile: All it needs do is run raspbian and I think they'd have a captive audience.... :wink:

1 Like