ZauZau Power strip support

Does anyone know how i can get the ZauZau zigbee power strip to work with hubitat?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBZKCPW4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Its a nice little inexpensive plug strip with 4 plus and 4 usb and can be controlled via zigbee.

Looks so similar to the UseeLink power strip I bought a while back that is also Zigbee (though there are also WiFi and other varieties that look the same, too). If it's identical or even close enough, this driver might work: UseeLink ZigBee power strip - #13 by bertabcd1234. Hubitat also has more built-in "multichannel" drivers now than it did in the past that might work out of box with this too, but I haven't tried any.

Someone posted a pic or 2 of those that burned up...They're cheap garbage, I wouldn't risk it

1 Like

This thing has come up with many brand names. Probably Tuya, anyways it works on the generic zigbee multi-endpoint device as pictured below.

I'd look at this first

I picked up two of these from Prime Day. So far, I can't get either one to get beyond the "initializing" stage of pairing with Hubitat. I think I'm going to just return these and try the UseeLink branding, which appears to be more reliable. We'll see. A shame, it's such a promising form factor and feature, but I think these ZauZau ones are garbage.

@mikage.kun what model is your hub - C-8 or older?

If you have C-8, try pairing the power strip close to the hub, selecting the option “pair trying to avoid Zigbee 3.0 repeaters”.

1 Like

@kkossev, that appears to be the overall solution. Also, @jnosa899 , the device type you provided is necessary info as well.

So, overall findings, for anyone who is looking for what I was looking for on these devices. It appears you'll need to be on the C8 hub, and will need to pair using "pair trying to avoid Zigbee 3.0 repeaters" option. Also, very close to the hub to pair, though the devices can function much further away after pairing.

After pairing these power strips successfully, set their device type to "Generic Zigbee Multi-Endpoint Switch". Save the device and also refresh and initialize it. After doing so, each outlet, will appear as a child switch device under the overall parent you added.

Note one limitation that may not be apparent: The USB outlets can be turned on or off just as the standard power plugs can. However, all USB outlets are treated as one switch. You cannot control them individually. They are all on or all off.

2 Likes

Does that mean there's no way to connect this power strip to a Hubitat C7? It never gets past the initializing stage for me when I'm trying to add the device. Mine is a ZauZau branded power strip.

This device does not follow fully the Zigbee 3.0 specs and does not fall back to the previous Zigbee standard when the Zigbee coordinator does not support the 3.0 protocol. So it will not work with older HE models.

I'm now back to not being able to pair these power strips, even with the Hubitat C8 model.

I initially tested these on the C8, but before I was ready to make the complete migration to it as my home hub. I did that tonight. It was surprisingly painless. I went to pair the two power strips with the C8 after migrating all devices from my C7, which had never been paired to these strips and it simply won't pair with them now. I always get stuck on initializing with them, even if I used the options to avoid repeaters or exchange keys in clear.

I'm wondering if my issue is that I'm not resetting the power strips. I checked the instructions and I can't find anything about how to factory reset the things.

I just bought this (ZauZau) on Amazon and was able to get it to pair right away. I adjusted it so it was a Generic Zigbee Multi-Endpoint Switch. It was set up as a parent child and each child being each switch individually. I am running the C-5, if i have any issues with it I will make sure to post here.

I just got one of these from Amazon (ZauZau, which is also found as other brands, Useelink etc.). I simply cannot get it to pair with C8, the hub finds it easily enough but it gets stuck on initializing.

I did not get a manual (just an instruction booklet on how to pair it with a phone app) and can't find one online (for any brand name), so I have no idea how to do a factory reset. Keeping the on/off button pressed for approx. 5 secs starts the pairing process, the hub finds it immediately but it hangs during initializing. Tried the two other pairings modes too, without success.

So if anyone knows how to get it to pair (or at least how to factory reset the thing) ...

These are well-known to dislike the C-8 Zigbee 3.0 radio and will not stay paired with the Hubitat C-8 hub.

The available workarounds are to pair it to Home Assistant, SmartThings, or even better to Tuya Matter Bridge and then bring it to Hubitat via the available or future integrations.