Z-Wave & Zigbee Driver Selection

Good morning. Thought I'd ask this question related to outlets and switches as I have always been curious and it might help others especially after all the recent platform updates.

I'm on C5 hubs. I use one for all my radio devices and the other to run IP devices and more complex apps. They are connected via HubConnect... I also have a SmartThings hub in the mix...

I currently have 105 Z-Wave devices from switches, to outlets, smoke detectors, garage door openers, etc. They are all plus devices and my mesh has always seemed pretty stable... I have 55 Zigbee devices from outlets, to door locks, motion, moisture and buttons... Many Zigbee devices are hardwired and act as repeaters so I think my Zigbee mesh has been good as well.

For the Z-Wave devices, I have pretty much always selected the "Generic Smart Switch" driver. This has been for both the light switches and the outlets as I have never seen a "Smart" outlet driver... Does any of that matter?

For the Zigbee devices, since there were no "Smart" options, I usually picked the "Generic Zigbee Switch" or "Generic Zigbee Outlet" driver depending on the device.

I also use @bptworld's Device Watchdog to randomly check status on all of these devices...

In the last few days, I noticed Zigbee outlets where I was using the "Outlet" driver, stopped reporting back status. I'm not sure if that was related to a platform change or something @bptworld changed in his app... I don't think it was the latter...

So I went in and changed all those Zigbee "Outlets" to Generic Zigbee "Switches" and they are back again reporting status via his app...

So what drivers should we be using where? Does it really matter? I am currently on 2.2.4.145 and experienced some of the issues and mesh problems others have when I started updating through the various releases... At one point, all my Z-Wave devices disappeared and I had to roll back to seemingly get my database back... Anyway, I'm holding at 145 for minute to see what happens next.

Been on 145 since Sunday and my mesh still has hiccups with grouped devices not turning on or off when scheduled... Does some of this have to do with internal device driver changes? Is it maybe because we are not using the drivers Hubitat recommends? What exactly are those recommendations?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.